Dark Touch

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Dark Touch

Post by jonbly »

7/10 - good ingredients, but didn't really gel. Adults were all a bit slow to understand her position.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Dark Touch

Post by Wolfshade »

dull Carrie rip off. I never really knew whether Niamh was innocent and couldn't control her destructive power, or was just being evil with it....but that's probably cos I found it so dull I wasn't really following it 4/10
Last edited by Wolfshade on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Seemed to punish everyone for one thing or another that could have been avoided with a bit of talking.

(1) school bullies, probably deserved it at the party, but their ending was "Oh look, we have a CGI budget".
(2) the adults who fostered her meant well and probably would have avoided the HUGE sins they enacted on Niamh if they'd been briefed (or if that pregnant lady had realised that giving the child support was more important than putting her back to school)... wait, did I miss the bit with the teacher & pregnant lady getting killed ? Might have dozed off.
(3) The Audience were treated to lines like "Have you heard of caviar? <giggle>"
Actually a half-decent film for much of the time, but rather too much exposition in the script.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Quite liked this but felt it rather lost its way for the last 20-30 mins when it just got a bit stupid.

Also the adults were all portrayed to be way to daft.

I mean how many times do you need to see a table move about 8ft on its own.

Do you

a) thinks thats a bit weird.
b) Instantly forget it and just carry on as normal.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

The lady playing the pregnant school councilor or whatever could not act for shit.

All the adults were massively daft and the script was ridiculous.

Surprisingly, I thought all the kids acted rather well.

My mood was tempered from hating this as I got Father Ted's "My Lovely Horse" stuck in my head and was singing it all the way through this film.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I'm surprised how many people seemed to find this one tolerable.

Nice lighting and cinematography, but the dialogue and the performances were just awful, without exception. I can't believe they managed to find an entire cast that bad (unless the casting director is the worst in the world, ever..... which is possible, seeing as how they somehow thought that wooden kid could carry the role of Niamh :| ), so I can only conclude that the director has absolutely no idea how to work with actors.

Utterly dire.
odishon
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by odishon »

This is a strange one as I actually really liked it but I'm not sure why. I found it quite funny a lot of the time but I'm not sure how much of that was intentional.
The children abusing the dolls at the party, the mad pregnant woman laughing away at her own stories, all quite bizarre but I did end up enjoying the whole film.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Did we ever find out why the daughter of the foster parents (the one who had cancer and died) had the bruises on her face in the picture? It looked like it was signposting to the fact they'd abused her, but I was expecting some double bluff where she had a condition that made the marks appear and they only looked like bruising.

I nodded off a few times during, so I may have missed this.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

The biggest disappointment of the festival given that Kim Newman awarded this top prize at the Neuchâtel Fantastic Film Festival. It has an interesting concept at its centre to show the cycle of child abuse through a metaphor of telekinesis, even though the area has been well covered by Carrie. It's let down by some uninspired acting and a very crude script that had the audience tittering at some points. It wasn't helped by camerawork that used too many close ups and shot the whole thing in a dark blue tone.
3/10
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

It was okay, and it opened well, but it didn't sustain to the end. It's not brilliant, but I don't think it's bad as every seems to be suggesting.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
chary
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chary »

This film was a real mess, it makes me think that that the writer may have had a difficult childhood, all children will become child abusers because all adults are child abusers!? I hope that Ireland's child services were never that incompetent. It was fun though when Niamh cut loose.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

*** Spoilers ***

Carrie meets Children of the Corn, with themes of child abuse, parent-child relationships and telekinesis are all explored. A touch on the slow side, while the flaws have already been discussed, but the story was engrossing enough to stop me losing interest, while the occasional flashes of dark humour also helped. A few good setpieces too. 7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

Fairly dismal all round, with laughable performances, and an ill thought through confused story. The couple she went to live with were utterly dim and the doll party was ridiculous.

The film couldn't decide whether Niamh was in control of her powers or not (one minute she wasn't, the next she could destroy an entire school without even glancing back and summon all the school children at will)

Also the film didn't seem to know whether she was misunderstood and might turn a corner (as the scene where she listened to the irritating teacher's baby suggested), or she was evil and just wanted to bump everybody off for reasons the film didn't bother to explain or tell us.

I was amazed to realize this was from the director of Dans Ma Peau (In My Skin)
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Amazon Prime and WedoTV.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey