We Are What We Are

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

We Are What We Are

Post by jonbly »

9/10 - this version worked so much better for jonbly than did the original. The plot changes make the whole thing more coherent, and the diary flashbacks add some context.
bernal316
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: We Are What We Are

Post by bernal316 »

One of the rare occasions where a remake actually improves the original. Beautifully shot and good characters you actually care for. Jim Mickle has done a fantastic job with the material and this one is already earmarked to go into the collection upon release.
8/10
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Really shocked and surprised by this, I loved it - it was astronomically better than the original, which I hated. The storyline with the girls and the abusive father suited the story far better than the brothers in the original, and the scenes their family from hundreds of years ago worked really well. Slick and beautifully made, totally erases the memory of the poor original, just brilliant 9/10
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Was as bored by this as the original... plus the artificially subdued colour-palette made it look ugly too.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Remarkably good reworking of the original. "Now that was a horror film" said the missus as it ended.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Absolutely brilliant. highlight of the festival!
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

sherbetbizarre wrote:...the artificially subdued colour-palette made it look ugly too.
Agree on the drab look... understand doing that as a trick to make CGI easier a la Matrix, but there's no place for it in a movie like this.
chary
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chary »

hated the original, but loved this remake, theres a great contrast between the dark, overpopulated slums of the first movie and the still green beauty of the remake. I was completely unprepared for the new jawdropping ending. When your kid tells you that he/she loves you then be warned :D!
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Haven't seen the original. Thought this was a great film, with a powerful finale.
black_rainstorm
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by black_rainstorm »

Interesting comments regarding the original and I actually wanted to see it but now I might not bother.

I really like Julia Garner, having seen her in quite a few independent cult films in the last year and that terrible sequel to the Last Exorcism. It was quite slow but it really paid off so well, and that ending was just incredible.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

So. Fucking. Dull.

I've enjoyed Mickle's previous work, but this was another snoozefest.

2/10
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

It was definitely not a good choice to schedule this as the penultimate film, as it was very slow moving and thoughful, which made it hard to take when it comes at the tail-end of the festival. I actually preferred the Mexican original to this (despite not loving that either); this remake strips out the subtext of the original and instead goes for a character study angle, looking at parental pressure and abuse. It has some good acting, but it moves too slowly and spends a lot of time showing the local police officer piecing together a mystery we already know the answer to. It also brings in the cannibalism cliche of cannibals developing Kuru, which again the original didn't have, and which seems to display a lack of understanding of the epidemiology. About 10 or 15 minutes from the end it suddenly starts moving, and delivers excitement and tension and ends on a good note, though that still doesn't make up for the rest of the film.
4/10
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I think it's better than the Mexican original, and I think it's more accessible (I had no idea what the hell was going on in the Grau film). But it's still heavy going.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

Really liked this one. The mexican movie is good, but I like this one just as much.

Nicely filmed and well acted and I certainly wasn't expecting the ending. Only thing I couldn't understand was that they obviously had a problem killing people and eating them, but then they start munching on Dad - I know they hate him so I thought they would have just killed him and be done with it. Then again the ending wouldn't be as surprising. I like that actor, the guy who susses out the family. Can never remember his name.

8 out of 10
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I didn't like the Mexican film, far too much screeching and those silly scenes at the end with the idiotic cops. But this one, with its much leaner story and measured pace, worked well.

A pleasant surprise. In so far as a film about cannibalism can be a pleasant surprise.