Big Bad Wolves

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Big Bad Wolves

Post by streetrw »

It's good but not great, and either the Empire were playing it too loud or it was mixed too loud (especially the music, which had a nice Bernard Herrmann feel to it sometimes). I did like the opening half hour or so but lost some interest as it went on.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
fish head
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by fish head »

Had this film been an English language film and not from a country with a burgeoning horror movie market, it may have been seen as the poor film that it was. Don't get me wrong I'm all for supporting new talent and expanding the genre canvas but a poor film is a poor film. The last film to be shown in the great Empire 1, shame.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

The director himself kind of signposted the ending in his introduction.

It is very much in the vain of Rabies.

Misunderstanding, miscommunications, a lack of focus and an inability to seen the bigger picture take its toll on all the protagonists.

Gallows humour at its finest for me.

Films surrounding the subject matter of peadophilia are always going to be difficult to pitch for all the audience, how serious it should be? will any comedy detract/mock victims?

For me this sums up the whole hysterical nature of the fall-out from any suspected child abuse case, its innate and we can't get away from it, to not be fully behind the pitch-fork mob is to somehow condone child abuse.

The film was wholly predictable but I very much enjoyed its style, script, acting, pacing, humour and suspense.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Not what I expected, but I enjoyed it nevertheless, despite it containing far more humour than I anticipated. 8 / 10

*** Possible spoilers ***
The ending was interesting as I thought it was going to close on an ambiguous note with the dying man's smile, leaving the "truth" open to interpretation. It certainly kept me guessing either way right up until the final reveal!
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Tarantino Declares BIG BAD WOLVES Best Film Of The Year

Yesterday in a regular screening of Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado's Israeli thriller Big Bad Wolves, Quentin Tarantino, who had popped into Busan to have a chat with Bong Joon-ho, was in attendance. Sitting mere seats away from me, we watched the film and upon its conclusion Tarantino eventually took the microphone at Q & A time and asked Navot, who was in attendance some questions. He also clearly stated that he loved the film so much, heaped a lot of other positive words of praise on it and then excitedly concluded that "This is not only the best film of Busan, it is the best film of the year."

We love the film on Twitch and are so happy and excited to share Tarantino's praise and goodwill for the film. I spoke briefly with Navot who was extremely giddy and elated.

This announcement also comes just days after Tarantino published his best of 2013 list.
http://twitchfilm.com/2013/10/busan-201 ... -year.html
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Dom »

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Tarantino Declares BIG BAD WOLVES Best Film Of The Year
http://twitchfilm.com/2013/10/busan-201 ... -year.html
Four Rooms.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Wedotv.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey