Random Weekend Thoughts...

London Frightfest 2013 has been and gone, this forum is available to post film reviews, chat, etc. from the festival.
chary
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Random Weekend Thoughts...

Post by chary »

thatcambridgebird wrote:
chary wrote:I'm greatly saddened by the news, its the most comfortable cinema in Leicester Sq, i remember seeing jurassic park there when it first came out and had many great film memories since. Does anyone know the reason why? Does anyone know when, i definitely want to go there for the last film it ever shows
I've a feeling you've missed the boat - the last film ever showed was the closing film on Monday night for Frightfest.

Sadness. I love Screen 1, it's (was...sob :( ) such a beautiful space, and so perfect for FF. The only non-FrightFest film I saw there was Star Trek Into Darkness (what? :p ), and despite the film being a big pile of poo, I couldn't help but be swept up by the spectacle of it being projected in Screen 1 with all of the booming sounds and that huge screen.

I'm genuinely sad about it going, and I don't even live in London so don't go there half as much as some of you!
I was there the day after and it looked like business as usual. I think they were saying it was the last frightfest movie. I'll try and find out exactly and let you know, we shouldn't left it go un-mourned
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

chary wrote:I was there the day after and it looked like business as usual. I think they were saying it was the last frightfest movie. I'll try and find out exactly and let you know, we shouldn't left it go un-mourned
No, it has definitely closed!

http://www.screendaily.com/news/empire- ... ntID=1846#
Bigcat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Bigcat »

I really enjoyed it. Great vibe, films mostly of a very high quality in screen 1 (didn't venture to the disco this year).

This was the first year I went in blind to pretty much every film. Friends have been urging me for years that this is the best approach. Well they were right, so I'm glad I finally listened.

As ever, the organisers did a fantastic job. It was obvious as ever that they do it for the love of the fans. Don't ever stop!

The Empire staff and all the other support staff were amazing/friendly/helpful as ever. Thank you.

Gutted about the big screen, but I'm sure the best solution will be found. What I loved this year was walking in on day 1 and looking around and seeing the same people in the same seats as in previous years, as if they'd never been away. I will miss that comfort and familiarity, like going home and seeing Dad in the same old armchair as ever! Still, the world must move on, even in dark fantasy land!
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

I found the films to be strangely consistent but did not hit the highs or lows of previous years. However I did really like Haunter, Odd Thomas, You're Next and No One Lives. My least favourite was probably the Dylatov Incident but ti was no where near as awful as previous offerings like Evidence (Glasgow), The Inside, or the killer sushi film.

I am also devastated by the loss of Empire 1

Adam Green is my new best friend (but he does not know this)
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Firstly, massive thanks to Alan, Ian, Paul and Greg and to everyone else who made Frightfest 2013 happen.

Like many others, we now wait to see what happens in the future, but it did feel like the end of an era by the end of Big Bad Wolves. Hopefully the fest will continue to thrive and the spirit will be maintained.

I thought this year's line-up was pretty strong - I didn't see any films that I wouldn't watch again and there were no real stinkers among the 26 that I saw, which is an improvement on most years. However, I'm not sure the line-up was as strong as 2012, which I think had more top films in my opinion, albeit perhaps also a few that were weaker than anything I saw this year. All in all, a good year and well done to the team on the choices overall.
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
danthsmith
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by danthsmith »

there were some OK films but no masterpieces. There were very scant films from around the world. Nothing from Asia at all!

The worst vice that needs challenging with the audience is now not phones but later arrival. In the discovery screen this was dreadful. i suggest next year some films titled "get to your bloody seat on time"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

danthsmith wrote:there were some OK films but no masterpieces. There were very scant films from around the world. Nothing from Asia at all!

The worst vice that needs challenging with the audience is now not phones but later arrival. In the discovery screen this was dreadful. i suggest next year some films titled "get to your bloody seat on time"
I also found this with latecomers - people coming in fifteen minutes after the film itself had started (so maybe half an hour after the scheduled start time, taking into accaount the intros, shorts, trailers etc). I was in Row AA, the "front row of the balcony", as it were, and there was a steady stream of people wandering in and out throughout the festival.

As for masterpieces: it's tricky as to the definition, but I think both THE LAST DAYS and ODD THOMAS were stunningly good films and worthy of the full five stars.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

danthsmith wrote:The worst vice that needs challenging with the audience is now not phones but later arrival. In the discovery screen this was dreadful. i suggest next year some films titled "get to your bloody seat on time"
In a normal cinema situation I'd agree, but to be fair the days at Frightfest are pretty packed and there's not much time between films. Sometimes there's barely time to queue up for a piss then get back to your seat. And if you've taken the bold step of trying to squeeze in a proper meal during one of the longer gaps (shocking idea, I know....), then getting back on time may not be totally under your control.

Personally I was never late for anything, but I do suffer from "Frightfest Arse-Ache Syndrome" and I need to stretch my legs between films. Apologies to my row-mates who had to stand up, more often than not, when I got there after them, but there's not much I could do about it.

(I do agree - no masterpieces this year. Not even close. Haunter was probably my favourite and that would barely scrape an 8/10.)
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Now confirmed that Empire 1 is being replaced with a 750-seater Imax:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23970581
Critter Egg
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Critter Egg »

The Soapmaker wrote:Now confirmed that Empire 1 is being replaced with a 750-seater Imax:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23970581
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can Imax screens show regular films?
"What's that you've got on your feet there?""Good Guy PJ Sneakers!"
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

I'm pretty sure Waterloo plays "regular" movies too.

Plus it's big enough to show Main and Disco movies at the same time - on the same screen!

No more queuing for tickets!

:ugeek:
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

sherbetbizarre wrote:I'm pretty sure Waterloo plays "regular" movies too.

Plus it's big enough to show Main and Disco movies at the same time - on the same screen!

No more queuing for tickets!

:ugeek:
So all we have to do is sit two to a seat and we're all sorted for next year....
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I've seen regular films on an IMAX screen, ones that weren't blown up to fit the screen too - so long as the gate is even then it looks perfectly fine.

But I can't see the Empire giving the IMAX screen over to a bunch of horror films...

There is never an excuse for late arrivals.

I can tolerate the single film users, these aren't regulars so I suspect (as much as I hate it) that they assume it will be like a regular screening and have 20 mins of ads/trailers before the film starts - I understand it more when you have allocated seating, but never when you have to fight in your bog standard multiplex.

But weekenders arriving late have absolutely no excuse.

The whole introduction to the film is part and parcel of the viewing experience - to not be in for that is arrogant to say the least.

I don't understand people's lack of understanding of punctuality.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

I cut it fine a couple of times... sometimes queuing for toilets/drinks and bumping into an old friend can fill up a tight 20 minutes.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Yes, it can be tight, even more so when everyone has to be booted out for 3D glasses or to get freebies on the 1st night, the was quite a silly amount of people to let out in one go, so hopefully the refurb may address possible crush problems.

It was this topic that reminded me I'd seen Painless, because some clown with a lanyard waltzed in after half an hour had gone by.

I wonder what people hope to get out of a film if the miss the first 20-30 mins.

There was one couple who constantly turned up to the main screen in the dark, wearing backpacks and as is always the most annoying in these cases, had to have seats in the middle of the row they were on (I'd guess somewhere around row H).

Once if forgivable and unfortunate, within 10 minutes is not too much of a problem, but to constantly do this and be over quarter of an hour late puts everyone's nose out of joint.