Late Phases

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Late Phases

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - This worked pretty well for me. Interested by the director's comments on limiting depth of field so that, like the hero, the audience's view of the world is limited.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Late Phases

Post by The Aylmer »

I enjoyed this and was pleased they didn't hang around before getting the first werewolf assault in (done effectively in silhouette for the most part). It felt like it needed an injection of pace in the second half though, before the big showdown arrived. Would also have preferred less cute looking werewolves in said final attack, although it was great to see full on old school mechanical effects for once instead of the usual cgi efforts. 7/10.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I wasn't expecting a werewolf movie, so that was a pleasant surprise in itself. The performances were good too.

I did think there were a few blatant stupidities in the script which could've been easily remedied, like the cops saying "It's an animal attack, this kind of thing happens all the time". Right, OK.... so you routinely get old people being killed in their homes by wild animals and it's apparently not a big deal...? :s
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A profound, contemplative movie with good performances from a largely veteran cast. Some good practical effects, although some don't work so well, but still preferable to overused and cartoonish CGI. 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Nice easy-going werewolf film (!). I too was perplexed by the local police rather blase attitude to having old folks being slaughtered in their own homes on a regular basis by "wild animals". Makes retiring to Eastbourne a bit more tempting. Pleasant but I'll struggle to remember it in a few months time I suspect.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

You really have to tip your hat to a filmmaker who goes down the werewolf route with practical effects and a small budget. Even if the creatures didn't work 100% it was still a very capably made and acted film. I particularly liked Ambrose's curmudgeonly dry humour with the neighbours he obviously had little time for. "Good luck with your vegetable". :lol:

8/10
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Another positive from this years festival.

Very well acted and an interesting concept, a tad slow in places but well plotted most of the time.

I didn't care much about the odd looking werewolves, for me its always about the transformation scene and that was very well put together.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

currently on Amazon Prime
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey