Starry Eyes

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Starry Eyes

Post by jonbly »

7/10 - nice idea and decently made, but a near miss. Needed some adjustments to differentiate it more from vampire mythos - after the period line, I was sure she'd be sucking blood in no time.
bernal316
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Starry Eyes

Post by bernal316 »

9/10 Film of the day. Great performances, great score, stylish, violent and compelling
Lost Highway
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Lost Highway »

I can see why this would score with the gore-hounds, but I thought it was a good idea which was squandered. There was ample opportunity for a Hollywood horror satire about ambition but after an intriguing first act, the film becomes dramatically inert. Like the similarly monotonous Contracted for much of the main section we simply watch the main character physically and mentally disintegrate after an ill-advised sexual encounter. Then the last act turns into a straightforward slasher film. Kind of disappointing that after some early hints at a Rosemary's Baby style conspiracy with sinister elderly satanists that all which is required of the ambitious starlet was
Spoiler:
to kill her friends (and enemies).
There is no interesting twist in the tail, the ending is one we expect all along with the title being made clunkinly literal. There was a nice Drive style electronica score and a good turn from the lead actress, but for me this was the worst film of the day.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

The story isn't especially original as it's a variation on the selling-your-soul trope and it doesn't do anything interesting with the concept, but there are some beautifully composed visuals and sound that contribute to a dream-like quality that the film has. There are some nice characterisation touches in the script, and I particularly liked the protagonist's passive-aggressive friend who was always trying to undermine her. Good acting, good makeup and a reasonably satisfying ending. 6/10
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I thought it was well done, but after the long buildup our heroine(?)'s physical corruption and rebirth seemed to happen too quickly, and we never actually got to see her achieving any of the celebrity status and success she longed for (budgetary constraints presumably played a part!)

The gory scenes reminded me of Alyce, which I watched quite recently.
black_rainstorm
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by black_rainstorm »

I'm glad that quite a few people seem to be on the same page with this one. It was a really great concept, it just didn't really reach it's full potential. There was too much time spent with her being ill and staying in doors.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A superb little shocker that reminded me of classic Argento at times - surprisingly he wasn't quoted as one of the influences. A film that stays with you. A classic Faustian tale set in Hollywood with sufficient mystery remaining at the end to allow for a sequel. The lead was good value, the plot was intriguing and there were plenty of memorable visuals. 9 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Mulholland Drive meets Rosemary's Baby. Well acted and paced with some nice icky moments towards the end. A solid effort if not one that will live long in the memory.
HeadOnAStick
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by HeadOnAStick »

For me it was one of the hits of the festival. In a year when a lot of my favourites turned out to be satirical, darkly funny or just outright splatire this one was a proper dark horror tale which built tension a little unevenly but finally delivered a proper finale. Stunning lead performance and, exposing my hidden shallows, she's also gorgeous.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

This film just ambled along.

The film was all about Alex Essoe and she carried the film very well.

Well made, shot and plotted even if it was unoriginal and very linear.

The effects and make-up were stunning for what I believe was a small budget, so in the end, compared to other films of the weekend it was something that passed the time in an entertaining way.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on FreeVee and Plex
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey