Home

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Home

Post by jonbly »

7/10 - I quite enjoyed this one ... a bit of originality in its mythos, and some unexpected plot developments. Shame the ending took the easy way out... would have been nice to see the unexpected there too.
scarebear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Home

Post by scarebear »

Well worth staying to the end of last night. Its was the last film in The Horror channel Screen and was one of the most scary. The end was a bit of a let down though.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Mediocre but acceptable US horror, full of jump scares with loud music stings. A few of the scares are quite effective, many just seem cheap. The script at least tried to be a bit original in the twists that occurred along the way and the use of dual timelines, but it needed to be a lot tighter and a lot of the fat could have been trimmed in the editing. The whole final act seemed to go on for too long and fizzled out at the end.
4/10
Lost Highway
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Lost Highway »

I loved the director's previous film,The Pact and thought this had a lot of the same elements: Two sisters where
Spoiler:
one dies in mysterious circumstances and the surviving one then investigates
, all connected to a mystery involving a woman who disappeared in the past. I liked it a lot, but it wasn't quite as tight as The Pact and the ending was disappointingly generic.That said, Nicholas McCarthy is one of the more interesting directors in the genre to come along in recent years. He imbues contemporary, seemingly unremarkable houses with a genuine sense of dread, an approach which I find far more interesting and unsettling than haunted house movies which go for gothic overkill. The demon or what we got to see of it, was pretty cool too.

This seems to go under two titles, I saw it as At the Devil's Door.
Last edited by Lost Highway on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Lost Highway wrote:This seems to go under two titles, I saw it as At the Devil's Door.
IFC Midnight have released it in the US under that title. I suspect it might get the same treatment here, as 'Home' is probably a bit too generic to sell it to the masses.

I had to duck out of this one as tiredness was getting the better of me and I was nodding off. It was the last film of the night in screen 7. Shame, because it seemed very creepy from what I saw.
domdunc
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by domdunc »

I felt like they were just checking off a list of horror movie cliches with this film.
Spoiler:
-Spooky wardrobe, check.
-Scary mirror, check.
-Creepy child ghost, check.
-Being attacked by an invisible force, check.
-Another creepy child, this time the antichrist, check.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

flat as a pancake.
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

This was a big surprise, a proper satanic horror. Good jump scares, and a big shock halfway through. Nicely directed, with some good homages to other horrors such as Don't Look Now. Really Good.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Home takes an oft-told tale and puts a new spin on it, even featuring a surprising twist part-way through. Some suspenseful sequences and jump scares help the slow-burning mystery unfold in an engrossing way, although parts of the story are hokey and illogical. 7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.