Show Pieces: Act of Faith, Jimmy's End, His Heavy Heart

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Show Pieces: Act of Faith, Jimmy's End, His Heavy Heart

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Fascinating triptych of shorts set in a Northampton nightclub that is also a form of purgatory. Filled with symbolism and mystical concepts, this was one of the most interesting things shown. Alan Moore's dialogue is great as always. The only thing that let it down a bit was that some of the second and third parts felt like they were going on for a bit too long. The first part was my favourite because the ending was so tense and shocking.
As a side note, Alan Moore and Mitch Jenkins gave what was my favourite Q&A of the weekend, with Moore in particular on excellent self-deprecating form.
Individual ratings: Act of Faith 7/10, Jimmy's End 6/10, His Heavy Heart 6/10
Overall 6/10
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Show Pieces: Act of Faith, Jimmy's End, His Heavy Heart

Post by FranksWildYears »

My favourite Q&A too, possibly of all the Frightfest ones I've ever stayed for.

This was my favourite film of Saturday and I thought it was beautifully written, played and shot. Will be ordering the special edition DVD mentioned, especially I thought the soundtrack was a real highlight.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Yep, Q&A was one of the greatest too - funny and insightful, Moore does curmudgeon like no other.

The film itself was very entertaining, one that will reward on re-watches with all the visual and dialogue tricks that people who read his comics/graphic novels will be all too familiar with.

I did feel it was a bit too long (for a short?) but I'm certainly looking forward to whatever ever else is in the pipeline with this work, The Show and other stuff.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

If you really liked it, there's more! It's actually a five-parter ('The Jimmy's End Cycle'):

Act of Faith
Jimmy's End
Upon Reflection
A Professional Relationship
His Heavy Heart

I believe there'll be a general DVD release at some point (as well as the Kickstarter exclusive version, which is only six months late at the moment).
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Rob@Sky »

@jonbly - do you know if Upon Reflection and A Professional Relationship are expansions of what was in the film? There was a brief scene with Alan Moore and his partner in the dressing room and I seem to remember some footage from a video camera (but could be misremembering that).

The running time for the DVD says 90mins - presume these two will be expanded from the 75mins version shown at FF?
Twitter: rob_a_daniel
Web: www.electric-shadows.com
Ta!
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Upon Reflection runs 7:30 ish, A Professional Relationship runs 9:30 ish. (Both with intro & credits).

So that'll put the full five parter up to the 90 mins you're quoting, more or less.

From the Kickstarter blurb:

"Both Upon Reflection and A Professional Relationship act as companion pieces to Jimmy's End and add depth to certain scenes that are not lingered upon during the film. They deserved a title and moment of their own and allow us to get to know other members of the Working Mens Club in intimate settings."

Kickstarter link is here, but since it's over it might just depress you...
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Rob@Sky »

Thanks for that. Yeah, handsome looking set. Going to plump for the one they're putting out in October (not sure about £15 quid extra for an autograph though).
http://shop.lexrecords.com/products/sho ... ia-box-set
Ta!
Bigcat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Bigcat »

I went to hear Alan Moore speak as much as to see the film and wasn't disappointed.

Want to watch it again after hearing him talk about it. Will get the DVD as a Halloween present to self, methinks. His Heavy Heart was my favourite section.
Rob@Sky
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Rob@Sky »

Here's the write-up of the Alan Moore & Mitch Jenkins Q&A. There are a couple of spoilers in there for anyone who hasn't seen Show Pieces yet.

This Q&A was the high point of this year's FF for me; have been a Moore fan since Tharg's Future Shocks in 2000AD and he was as entertaining in person as he comes across in interview.
http://www.electric-shadows.com/alan-mo ... ow-pieces/
Ta!