Frightfest quality of films and clashing with the LFF

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, 21st - 25th August 2014
goregoregirl
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Frightfest quality of films and clashing with the LFF

Post by goregoregirl »

It's because for a film to be shown at LFF it needs to be the UK premiere so if it was shown at FF it couldn't qualify.
Twitter @goregoregirl
bump3r1
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by bump3r1 »

Why don't the organisers just move away from the rule of only premiers be shown on the main screen - if they feel a film is of high quality & would go down a storm at FF who cares if it's been shown elsewhere in Britain previously!
You think darkness is your ally but you have merely adopted the dark, i was born in it!!

Welcome to prime time, bitch!!

Craig Beecham - Facebook.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

bump3r1 wrote:Why don't the organisers just move away from the rule of only premiers be shown on the main screen - if they feel a film is of high quality & would go down a storm at FF who cares if it's been shown elsewhere in Britain previously!
To some extent they do: This year, Sin City 2 premiered the day before, Green Inferno and Life After Beth were only English premieres having played at the Edinburgh festival, and All Cheerleaders Die actually played last years' London Film Festival more than 10 months previously.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

ChrisReynolds wrote:
bump3r1 wrote:Why don't the organisers just move away from the rule of only premiers be shown on the main screen - if they feel a film is of high quality & would go down a storm at FF who cares if it's been shown elsewhere in Britain previously!
To some extent they do: This year, Sin City 2 premiered the day before, Green Inferno and Life After Beth were only English premieres having played at the Edinburgh festival, and All Cheerleaders Die actually played last years' London Film Festival more than 10 months previously.
A question of getting the balance right I guess. Premieres can bring prestige and publicity but personally I'm not overly bothered about whether a screening is a premiere or not as I'm more interested in what is about. I've been to the LFF on various occasions over the years but tend to find the atmosphere a little sterile when compared to the feel of Frightfest. Would be great if other Directors did what Guillermo de Toro did with Pans Labyrinth but there are many others (Directors and particularly the publicity machines behind the movie) who will regard LFF as more prestigious. Moving dates for some events can work wonders - BAFTAs and Oscars for example - but not sure it would help here plus a Bank Holiday weekend does work well when planning time off to attend.
Paul1968
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Paul1968 »

i've been to see a couple of the films at LFF - it follows and cub - and both were brilliant. is this a regular problem then? i don't seem to remember there being so many good horror film at LFF before? (i think there about 8-10 in total this year and all seem quite good).

if it is a problem would FF ever look at moving to maybe one of the May bank holidays or is the august date always set in stone?
LeighM
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by LeighM »

I've been to see Spring and It Follows so far, both of which would have gone down really well at FF. I'm also seeing Cub tonight, which I've heard lots of good things about and Horns on Monday. It Follows in particular would have been the best film on the FF lineup this year for me, so it's a shame they're having to compete with LFF for these films.
Paul1968
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Paul1968 »

it follows was amazing. everything i kind of wanted the babadook to be but wasn't (i.e. scary!). am seeing kristy tomorrow, and then the town that dreaded sundown on saturday. in my head I'm at a mini frightfest, except no one is wearing friday 13th tee shirts and no one claps every time someone gets killed.
kickasschewgum
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by kickasschewgum »

It Follows, Spring and Kristy were all awesome. Cub was pretty good. The Town That Dreaded Sundown was awful.
scarebear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scarebear »

Must admit, im gutted It Follows wasnt at Frightfest. It would have been high on my list to see. Im a member of the BFI and went to see loads of films at the LFF, but all the screenings of It Follows all clashed with other things. I do hope its gonna get UK release as this is the one i missed out on. Hope someone knows the answer to this.

At the lFF i watched The Town that Dreaded Sundown and When Aminals Dream which were average, but Kristy was brilliant and the directors Q&A at the screening was great fun especially when he got us all to put the Foil Killer masks on so he could take a picture and put it on Twitter!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Saw A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night at the LFF, which was one they talked about in the Cannes diaries... Great film, but light on horror, and more an arty indie. Would have been a good Discovery film I think, but maybe the LFF was a better home for it.
100HorrorFilms
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by 100HorrorFilms »

I'm guessing the likes of Shockwave come as a package deal i.e. "You can have The Babadook but you also have to show this....'movie' too"