Let Her Out

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Let Her Out

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I'm not sure this grim and gritty tone was the right way to do an adaptation of The Numskulls.

I liked the stylish use of lighting and electronic soundtrack, it had a sort of Neon Demon vibe, but apart from that it was terrible. Which is a shame because there were some good ideas in there.

I think a lot of the problems were down to the script. It was full of bad dialogue and absurd decisions by characters that didn't make sense. The weird way no-one, including Helen herself, seemed to take it seriously that she was experiencing fugue states and harming herself. "Oh just go home for three days until the operation, you can do it standing on your head", or "Helen, you've been self-harming, seeing visions, and drawing pictures of yourself cutting my head off all day, you're going to miss my play if you don't get changed soon."

And then in the climax it weirdly switched to Molly's point of view so it can do a monster chase? There was a good flesh-ripping scene there but it seemed oddly supernatural and incongruous to the tone.

It did however feature the brilliantly dumb moment where she puts on the stethoscope, puts the diaphragm to her head and says "Hello?".
greenzombidog
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Let Her Out

Post by greenzombidog »

There was a naivety to the story telling in this that was reminisent of the 80's for me. I liked the lighting and the music and some of the visual motifs like the womb like lighting in the hotel room where it all began and the final body horror scene took place was interesting. I thought the lead was great and did really well in her first major role. Great make up effects and some unitentionally amusing dialogue. One of my favourites of the fest.
In the dark womb we ate hot slime
djwoody
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by djwoody »

Why was this even on the bill??? Waste of time
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Despite the flaws, such as characters doing stupid things, I quote enjoyed this one nevertheless.

I thought the
Spoiler:
transformation near the end
was superb and I liked the
Spoiler:
split personality aspect and the reason for it, even if it seemed absurd to start with.
Good fun, even if similar stories have been better told before. 7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

The twin inside concept is an interesting one but unfortunately this was let down somewhat by a dodgy script and occasional wobbly acting (not so much from the leads at least). However this was all almost salvaged by the nicely gory transformation scene at the end...almost... because all people came out of the cinema talking about was the "stethoscope scene".
gazadams
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by gazadams »

Great film and the lead actress was superb. Good idea and nice transformation scene at the end
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I was irritated by almost everything about this film.
anaana
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by anaana »

4/10 Pretty annoying film with the saving grace of the scary scenes towards the end, including at the parking lot.
MrsBBC
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by MrsBBC »

Frustratingly abnormal reactions and behaviour from the female leads (like everyone in 'Contracted', and horribly drawn 2D men.
Nice end transformation scene that definitely took too long to get there.
Enjoyed the stethoscope scene as much as everyone else.
Somehow still generally enjoyed this absurd mess of a movie in spite of itself...