From a House on Willow Street

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

From a House on Willow Street

Post by jonbly »

6/10 - Overall idea wasn't too bad, and picked up a bit at the end... but after the first 400 jump scares I was already sick of this one.
Lunny68
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: From a House on Willow Street

Post by Lunny68 »

Really enjoyed this one. The first movie I saw at the festival this year that gave me a big grin. Plenty of lovely gore.
Bigcat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Bigcat »

A really good concept - merged two horror tropes very well.
Enjoyable good fun.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

An intriguing romp that lost its way a little in the last third after the big reveal. I felt the mystery of the first two acts were stronger and once we knew exactly what was going on it fell back into standard territory again. Still, I had plenty of fun with this one.
Spoiler:
I was bemused that the demon seemingly couldn't escape a chain, but could create projections / hallucinations, levitate and stop bullets!
7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Agree with all the above really. Liked the idea of the kidnappers biting off more than they can chew but once that had been revealed it didn't provide much more than a few jump scares. Also agree with Alex above on the demons somewhat inconsistent powers...
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

Agree with what other people have said about the inconsistencies in powers etc. but the killer for me was all the endless wandering around doing nothing except being accosted by stupid zombie jump scares that ultimately meant nothing, when they knew exactly what they needed to do.

Particularly stupid were:
Spoiler:
The demon needed 4 souls in total, why kill the priests/parents with sharp garden implements in the basement ?

What did the demon do between the house slaughter and the robbers turning up, given that all the bodies were maggot ridden ? Sit around watching Netflix box sets ? Why not go out and find some random passers by to possess ?

The blonde guy took an hour to open the grate while the 3 demons did jack shit, then told Sharni Vinson to go, despite knowing that they only needed one more soul (his). The demons then turned his bullets back on themselves and killed him for no reason when they could have achieved their evil plan without her.

Given the handy video diary of all the past killings in the house that we got, why was there no implication that the demon had tried the 4 souls trick before ?
In hindsight after sitting through Blood Feast and Abattoir I probably would have been more forgiving if I'd seen this later in the festival, but that doesn't really make it any better.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Boring repetitive tripe. I'm sure they used the same effects shots more than once just to pad out the running time.

The cast and crew got on my nerves in the Q&A too. Oh, we thought it would be original to combine a crime drama (with no plot) with a horror movie (with no plot).... And they' should've had the balls to actually set it in South Africa, at least then something about it would've stood out.
gazadams
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by gazadams »

great film and some good scares
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

OK, fairly effective if a bit repetitive and generic.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Amazon Prime
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey