The Chamber

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

The Chamber

Post by jonbly »

6/10 - As the air ran out, so did my enthusiasm for this one. Bland and unoriginal.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: The Chamber

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Competently made bottle-thriller about a small two-person submarine crammed with four people that gets stuck on the sea bed. It's well researched and seemed realistic to me in its presentation of the sub, though there is a silly portrayal of high-pressure nervous syndrome. The filming of the claustrophobic is pretty good, but it's the score from James Dean Bradfield of the Manic Street Preachers that sells the tension better. The problem is that the dialogue and interactions aren't interesting enough to carry the bottle concept. It's fairly straightforward stuff that will be familiar to anybody who's seen The Abyss or similar deep sea films, missing the opportunity for any twists or mysteries to keep the viewer hooked.
Spoiler:
Also, the heroine is the same one responsible for getting them into the situation, even after she was warned what would happen. Consequently I didn't care about her continued survival.
jonbly wrote:6/10 - As the air ran out, so did my enthusiasm for this one. Bland and unoriginal.
I've stopped giving my ratings out of ten now because everybody on this board seems to have different scales to me. In my mind bland and unoriginal should require a 3 or 4 out of 10. I gave 6/10 to most of last year's Oscar nominees.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Agree on your spoiler point. Fair point on ratings too... but they help me compensate for my lousy memory, and I try to stay internally consistent (which may mean I'll tweak some ratings as the fest progresses).
Bigcat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Bigcat »

I liked it.
Great sense of claustrophobia, awesome score, good dynamic between all the characters. The ending worked really well for me and was set up very nicely.
For a low budget movie, it punched above its weight.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Just an "ok" from me for this. I didn't entirely buy the speed with which things descended into chaos and the material felt overly familiar - particularly since the rather similar Jude Law vehicle "Black Sea" was out only last year.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Meh.

I like the female lead but she didn't half irritate me and therefore I had no sympathy for her.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Studio Canal.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey