The Rezort

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

The Rezort

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - Could argue a lack of originality here, but nicely paced and a good twist. Decent character interaction kept it rolling along.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: The Rezort

Post by mamawaldi »

Perfect start to Saturday with this enjoyable zombie homage to jurassic park. Liked the characters, good action and it even found time to make a serious commentary on global issues! Not bad on a 3 mill budget!
Bigcat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Bigcat »

Once the zombie action starts most z movies are the same. However, the concept was GREAT and very well executed. The only puzzling thing is why hasn't it been done before?
Dougray Scott - at his most enigmatic, rugged and fearless - lifted it right up!
A fun start to Saturday morning that set the tone for the day.
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by ArghZombies »

I didn't expect much (I hated the Outpost movies) but was pleasantly surprised. A great concept, pretty well put together. Characters were a bit cliche though, and I don't think the action scenes were shot so great (camera close-up on characters face, shake camera around wildly) and I think they could've gone into a bit more detail about the whole refugee camp thing as all that we got was the 'reveal' but nothing else, but overall I think it was a decent success. C+
Twitter: @ArghZombies
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Pretty standard zombie fare but with a nice change of scenery to a very attractive setting. Nor bad, but not remarkable. 6.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
killer guinea pigs
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by killer guinea pigs »

really dull so called zombie film. no gore. cheesy dialog.

in the splice screen Alan Jones asked the director in the q and a did Dougray Scott do it for the paycheck.........it wasnt the materail !!!

those 2 sixteen year old charachters were just so realistic........please dont make anymore zombie films Steve Barker or at least watch train to busan before so you know where the standard is.

part of my weekend pass paid for this so i wont get the time back or money.
gazadams
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by gazadams »

Quite liked this one not a bad film
Tyrannosaurus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Tyrannosaurus »

I realise there's a difference between a character's viewpoint and the filmmaker's. The Last Winter might be my favourite movie despite that I don't believe in global warming.

But this film certainly seems with the SJW viewpoints of that one character. The only non-SJW thing about this movie is the lack of transgender characters.

But I would sometime joke about how political correctness extremists would start campaign for the equal rights of paedophiles and serial killers next, seeing as they're minorities too and didn't ask for their urges.

This has a character campaigning for the rights of zombies. Close enough.

Said character is a woman (obviously). The character she bonds with over this issue is also a woman. Because only women can now the right thing - men might understand if badly traumatised enough and survive long enough to learn their values were wrong.

(Unless there are transgender characters present, in which case the women may be presented as just as inherantly vile, stupid and worthless and the males. But we spared that because there weren't any.)

SPOILERS:

The guide (authority figure) is a man - learns the resort, I mean Rezort, is bad and is attacked by another guide who has turned.

The teenagers are male - apparently something like 48% of video gamers are female and can behave just as bloodthirsty as the male gamers, but this film needed stupid gamers, so they're male - and one learns how his values are wrong when his friend turns.

Another man is the protagonist's husband, who becomes cowardly and nearly kills his trying to save himself.

The Rezort leader, granted, is a woman, but she's in charge of a corporate thing, which makes her worse than Hitler. Except Hitler was a racist, which SJW types probably rank higher amongst his crimes than mass murder - were he a rapist, SJW types would probably consider his role in instigating WWII so insignificant as to be a footnote.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Not that I really care, but in the interests of clarity... SJW?
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

Social Justice Warrior
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Ah.

If this were a valid point, then the movie would end with the zombie-friendly viewpoint being justified. Someone would roll up with a cure and all the poor innocent zombies would be magically restored to pre-dead status.

But it doesn't - the zombies just tear people apart as usual.
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

I think the SJW bit is on the director's part personally. He wants to make some kind of point about the treatment of refugees and asylum seekers - about how they are expendable; fuel for the machine. The great 'reveal' might have been more effective had they not shown the refugee camp next to The ReZort at the start (that's strange - why would that be there - thinks...)

In any case, this just isn't the right platform to be making socio-political statements from IMO - as many have said, it's just Jurassic Park with zombies, i.e. a dumb actioner, with pretensions to depth. As a zombie movie, I've seen worse... hell, some of Romero's later efforts (Diary of the Dead was atrocious) - but as a film, it was sub-par. I knew it would be; just couldn't see a better alternative in Discovery.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Aren't all of Romero's films socio-political statements? Fair enough to try something in this film I think even if it was executed with a bit less subtlety than George did
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

Fair point, but I think a bit less subtlety is a serious understatement! The end of this was signposted like Las Vegas Boulevard - it has none of the sly humour and subtlety that distinguish Romero's early films. The characters were pretty shallow as well - ciphers really, especially the cringe-worthy teenagers. Innit bruv.
MrsBBC
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by MrsBBC »

I thought it would work really well at the theatre.

We expected more from the prominent female zombie; the late ReZort business partner, who maybe even intentionally/unintentionally seeded this whole mess and was offed a little too late/ early?