Downhill

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: Downhill

Post by Alex J »

My comments were mainly a response to remarks seemingly aimed towards the director, as there had been some comments made about the use of gratuitous shots and the portrayal of women,
Spoiler:
and I was just pointing out that in both Downhill and Hidden in the Woods the protagonist was female (and arguably also the antagonist in Downhill).
I also wasn't trying to suggest that all rapists objectify women, nor all males who objectify women are rapists, but I think it is fair to say that there will be some who fall into both categories. I don't recall mentioning rape in my original post anyway!

All in all, as with most films, there are some of us who enjoyed it and some who didn't! I guess we wouldn't have much to talk about if we all thought the same thing!
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Tyrannosaurus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Tyrannosaurus »

Alex J wrote: I don't recall mentioning rape in my original post anyway!
While that is true, you did refer to women who were almost raped or raped (can't remember) by almost every male character in that other movie, as "sex objects", so you can see where I got that idea.
Alex J wrote: All in all, as with most films, there are some of us who enjoyed it and some who didn't! I guess we wouldn't have much to talk about if we all thought the same thing!
True that.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I didn't enjoy Hidden in the Woods and when he turned up at the start with the woman out of that killer mermaid movie I realised that maybe prior research of films is a good thing.

Having said that, the actress has a knowing opinion of her own abilities and the director is a very nice and enthusiastic chap, the film just bored me.
anaana
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by anaana »

Terribly boring and self-important film. I was hoping the female lead would die very quickly to spare us all the uncalled for on-screen modelling.
One of the worst of an otherwise fairly mediocre 2016 festival.

2/10
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Tyrannosaurus wrote:
killer guinea pigs wrote: Thanks for all your juvenile comments
Enough of this from here on in please. It's gone beyond lively debate and got personal. We leave this forum largely unmoderated due to the fact Frightfesters are, by and large, grown up enough to respect differences of opinion and character.

Any continuation of this nit-picking bickering will be removed.

Play nicely.

EDIT: Now I'm back off my holidays and not trying to use the forum on my phone I have removed the off-topic and personal attacks from this thread.
Seat@theBack
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Seat@theBack »

Must just add this:

If it's my positive review of the above that's been hinted at as being " paid for" :eek: or written "by the director" :eek: then I can promise you it was written by me, and only me, and totally unpaid for (sadly - but if anyone is offering..!!) :)

At FRIGHTFEST I post all my reviews written in the pub round the corner to VUE straight after watching (usually) and straight to this forum first. Then I will post to my blog as well: SEAT AT THE BACK - CINEMA MAGAZINE. I pay for every ticket and would never review a film at this event from a screener (ugh!). I don't know the director of DOWNHILL personally, but I am a big fan of his..

It's just a personal opinion. I also like quiet and tender horror too! But I am not being paid to like anything and I am ME!!!! (Not a producer, extra or the director - which it would be quite cool to be, to be fair!) :lol: