Realive

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Realive

Post by jonbly »

7/10 - Not bad ideas, but felt a bit flat. Didn't really see what the company had to gain from bringing him back again... plenty of corpsicles in the freezer. (Though I guess they'd already done the personalised R&D for him...)
Last edited by jonbly on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
djwoody
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Realive

Post by djwoody »

Liked this, some real poignant moments but not really FrightFest material
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Loved it. It looked as if it was about to go off the boil in the fifth act but recovered well. I found I had something in my eye at the end but it wasn't tears or nothing. Honest. Joint top film so far for me (along with Pet). 9/10.
wakko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by wakko »

Not too bad, but the whole film looked like a long HSBC or similar banking ad (probably intended). Too much waffling dialogue. The film was trying to explain too much and I didn't care enough for the characters to feel their drama.
thatcambridgebird
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by thatcambridgebird »

I've slept on this one overnight and still conclude that I did enjoy it - I think I'd been whacked over the head with the emotional-stick walking out of the screen initially.

I agree with others, it was hugely sentimental and I wasn't expecting it to make me cry (though I blame someone else openly snivelling further down the row in the final act for setting me off too!) - it was a strange choice for Frightfest but ultimately I think it worked with the audience. I've since read reviews of it's "problem" areas in the plot, but overall I still liked it enough for it to be in my top 5.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

The most emotionally affecting movie of the fest that I saw, although those expecting action or gore will be disappointed by a primarily talky movie.

I thought the story was well built around the central character, while the two female leads were engaging enough too.

One for when you're in a more cerebral or emotional kind of mood. Due to the emotional heft it's never too dull despite the lack of action. 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Nicely made, but I found it all somewhat bland and dull. Although as I sit here now, it's actually quite thought-provoking...

The elements I disliked: Marc's life in the "present" was all so bloody perfect - loads of money, beautiful house, beautiful friends, hipster business with happy employees who love him. Then he wakes in the future and again it's all so bloody perfect - all gentle shades of white, blue and grey, more beautiful people (just as well given the dreary hospital-overall clothes they all have to wear in the 2080s). No dirt, no sweat, no blood... no humour.

There seems to be some attempt to portray the "Dr Frankenstein" character as a villain, concealing the past failed experiments, but surely scientific advancement always has failures on the path to success. And unlike Frankenstein's creature, Marc finds himself in a world where he could fit in, where he won't be an outcast, were it not for the loss of his great love. He seems self-pitying rather than pitiable.

But now that I think about it, maybe Marc himself is both Frankenstein and the creature - he decides to freeze himself and be resurrected in the future; when it doesn't work out it's a situation of his own making, he's not a monster who never asked to be born. I guess the real point is that he should've accepted death as part of life, and been happy for what he had (yeah I know that's exactly what the film says, but it's only really sinking in now). Much easier said than done, of course... and most deaths aren't anywhere near as picture-perfect as the one we see here.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Patronising, middle-class, liberal trash.