Monolith

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
DJBenz
-----
-----

Monolith

Post by DJBenz »

Competent enough isolation thriller, but as someone whose day job is in automotive engineering there were far too many issues with the world's safest car apparently being so unsafe it was capable of imprisoning a passenger with no means of escape.

Plus, it's got an onboard supercomputer that can weigh you, but you still have to poke the display to make a call. My father in law's Ford Focus has voice dialing FFS.
Jon H
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Monolith

Post by Jon H »

One of the surprises of the festival for me. Considering the unpromising premise (that must have been some pitch meeting -"it's about a woman who gets locked out of her car") - it really was much more than the sum of its parts. Built tension very effectively and made you care - a terrific central performance from Katrina Bowden carried the film brilliantly
scarebear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scarebear »

I loved this!

When i read the premise, i thought that why is this gonna be in Frightfest, but i can see why now. You dont always have to have blood and guts to make a suspense movie. The car was great, there was a top notch performance from Karina Bowden who had to put up with everything (the little screaming kid was very annoying, but thats kids eh?) and i hope this movie gets the release it deserves (got a feeling it maybe just one for sky though).
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

I wondered at times if this would have worked better as a short, but there was just enough content for the running time.

A fairly straightforward story, well told and with the fantastic Utah scenery as eye candy! 7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

I wandered into this thinking it would probably wind up as post-lunch nap territory, but it held my attention from the start and I thought the main character's performance was outstanding in showing the frustration and helplessness of her situation, as well as the endless (and universal) self doubt about being probably the worst parent ever.

I don't drive or know anything about cars so I could happily suspend disbelief about the details of the Monolith itself, but I liked the design and how ordinary it looked whilst still being 'different' to the other cars. The only part I didn't think worked were the dream sequences, but there wasn't enough of them for it to matter. A solid 7/10 from me too.
itchy
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by itchy »

Pretty enjoyable, well made and well acted but seemed a little slow.
gazadams
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by gazadams »

really great film and had some great tension in it
Tyrannosaurus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Tyrannosaurus »

Pretty interesting movie. Interesting that the super car was able to be seen doing some things a normal car couldn't.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of movies these days based on the fear of losing a child, so due to oversaturation, even better ones are vulnerable to beng overshadowed.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Overlong yet felt more could have been done and I felt no tension at all.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on Prime.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey