Red Christmas

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - Fun for all the family...
Atari
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Red Christmas

Post by Atari »

I wanted to enjoy this but by then end I think this was the worst film I saw all weekend.
scarebear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scarebear »

Sorry, but of the 5 films i watched Monday, this was the worst.

So corny, so predictable. Ok some interesting Deaths but you just knew what was coming.

Best bit about it, the preview of "the limehouse golum" before the film!!
Midnight-Kroovy
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Midnight-Kroovy »

I thought this was decent but whenever a horror descends into hack n slash it feels like tired ground.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Probably neither as funny nor as gory as it could have been, but there was a spell early on when I had a big cheesy grin on my face from a series of jokes, so it was certainly no mis-fire.

Not sure the weighty abortion / pro-life issue always sat well with the humour though, and as with The Windmill Massacre earlier in the day it maybe could have done with one or two more truly memorable setpieces to really make it stand out.

7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

The second mediocre but acceptable slasher of the day. I liked how nasty and uncompromising it was, there was some decent tension and some gruesome deaths. In some ways it was so nasty and uncompromising that the emotional portrayals weren't able to keep up, with the characters not always acting like they'd seen their immediate family butchered in front of them one by one. Like Windmill Massacre earlier in the day, this had lot of characters making decisions to split up or run around for the sake of the script. Lastly, the tones seemed to be muddled, with the crazy gory deaths and cloaked killer being at odds with the serious topics of abortion and Downs syndrome. This dichotomy is most clearly apparent in the portrayals of the two Downs syndrome characters: the family member is realistically portrayed and uses an actor with Downs syndrome, the killer is portrayed by a guy in a hideous mutant Halloween mask.
itchy
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by itchy »

Didn't like this at all, started off with some interesting characters and just went downhill.

The cast seemed to try hard, especially Dee Wallace who was great but the film style left lots to be desired.

There was no suspense, kills were sort of off screen, situations seemed beyond contrived. What the hell was all that about with the phones to distract Cleetus while climbing up a trellis, surely you could have just lent out of the window and shot him with the shotgun !!

And no, sorry, John Merrick from the Elephant man does not a scary killer make.
Tyrannosaurus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Tyrannosaurus »

Very interesting and quite funny. At least someone realised serious slasher movies just don't work anymore - there's no suspense when you're sitting through a "new" movie you've more-or-less seen twenty times!

Still, very good!
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I like the niche it made for itself but on the other hand I had no sympathy for any of the characters.

I heard some thinking it was a modern day twist on the Frankenstein idea, which I would go with except this films creature was not portrayed in either a sympathetic or evil way.