Quality of films this year

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
greenzombidog
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Quality of films this year

Post by greenzombidog »

What I find difficult to understand is why these production companies think it's beneficial to force these piss poor movies into the festival as part of a deal. When at the end of the festival all everyone does is tear them apart and say how awful they are. If all your movie gets is nothing but negative response is it really worth brokering these kind of deals. The amount of movies that have had name changes and month long sometimes year long delays before released probably due to negative word of mouth makes it seem as though it isn't worth it. I remember one from a few years ago that was rubbish called Freak Dog that didn't get released for ages and then it came out as Red Mist and then you've got Shockwave Darkside just being released as Darkside. One of my most hated Frightfest movies was a really terrible film from years ago called the Dead Outside probably one of the most boring films I've ever seen. That still hasn't had a release in the UK. ( It has in fact been released but 2 years after it screened at frightfest ).

On a slight tangent I think being boring is one of the worst sins a film can commit at Frightfest. When you're sat watching movies all day it becomes a real slog when one is slow and boring.
In the dark womb we ate hot slime
Frank Rizzo
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Frank Rizzo »

I too as some have mentioned on here have noticed a decline in the quality of films over the last couple of years. I therefore have for the last 2 years made a deliberate effort to try and identify the most skippable main screen films and the discovery screen films that are worth watching. This is quite hard to do and sometimes it is guess work but I have found this has made it a much better festival experience and I'm perfectly fine doing that in future. I was however gutted that Night of Something Strange and We are Flesh sold out very quickly so wasn't able to get tickets for these. It sounds like from feedback these were definitely screenings worth going to.

I think that people should probably be told that being on the main screen doesn't necessarily mean it is one of the best films in the festival.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

The Soapmaker wrote:Meanwhile, back at the Main screens, large numbers of seats at many of the films were empty because people were more interested in seeing (better?) alternatives in the Discovery screens. That guaranteed seat for the weekend becomes something of an irrelevance.
Not if you're in a group. I like the fact you can go off and watch Discovery films on your own, then return to the main screen, and all discuss what you've just seen.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

sherbetbizarre wrote:
The Soapmaker wrote:Meanwhile, back at the Main screens, large numbers of seats at many of the films were empty because people were more interested in seeing (better?) alternatives in the Discovery screens. That guaranteed seat for the weekend becomes something of an irrelevance.
Not if you're in a group. I like the fact you can go off and watch Discovery films on your own, then return to the main screen, and all discuss what you've just seen.
But surely you could meet up between films, in the communal areas, the bar or wherever, and do that?

(Edit: Sorry, I'm not trying to tell you where you should meet up with your friends! :) )
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Sure, but it's nice having a permanent place to go back to, rather than shifting around for each film.

Glad I'm not the one having to make these decisions though!
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

I would be sad if Frightfest changed the format. It is great to have a programme organised for you. Some fans just stay in the main screen, I for one have not got the time to research every film before attending. Part of the fun is the unique menu of fear that the guys put on. I had a brief perusual of the films and opted out of the comedy films such as Directors Cut,Master Cleanse and Jeeg Robot, as it looked like a superhero film, and I'm here for the horror, but I think the event would lose it's tradition, and it's way, if it was made just like any other festival, booking for individual films only.

By all accounts, there were some strong films in the discoveries, Cruel Summer sounds like it should have played in the main, but movie appreciation is down to personal taste, I loved both White Coffin, and Red Christmas, but some people hated them. What would be duller than loving every film shown though, you have got to have your Shockwave Darksides, and Cell to moan about, but then be absolutely blown away by a masterpiece like Train To Busan, and a genuinely chilling unique film like Pet.

Keep the same system, its would not be Frightfest without the five day pass, and main screens. I thought this years event was a Triumph for all concerned.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

I definitely think the Frightfest audience is becoming more discerning in its choice of films. I was in the Horror Channel screen and there were always multiple empty seats for every film, which would suggest that a lot more people were taking the option to dip out and see something different. In fact, I don't think I ever saw it rammed to capacity, except for Train to Busan, but even then there was the odd empty seat round and about.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I've never really viewed the Discovery Screens as the "lesser" films, just alternatives, smaller budgets therefore less chance of exposure without genre festivals.

Being honest I did so little research for the films this year that I was, bar 3 events, always in the Main Screening but to answer the point of the title of the thread, having a standout film - be it a big "Hollywood" film or something that is brilliant doesn't indicate what the quality is like from year to year.

For example, Sleep Tight still rings in my head to this day - a sleeper hit that was a surprise to me and utterly brilliant. Sure, I can remember other films that were on the year it was shown but they all pale in comparison, so much so that I can't remember if they were much good unless I think about it film by film. So they are either good films I've forgotten, bad films I've forgetten, or good films that seem worse because Sleep Tight was so marvellous.

I will say that speaking to people everyday and judging from peoples Top 5s, it does seem the best films were in Discovery but that of itself doesn't mean the films are less quality than previous years.
dundermifflin
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by dundermifflin »

TheDukeAbides wrote:I've never really viewed the Discovery Screens as the "lesser" films, just alternatives, smaller budgets therefore less chance of exposure without genre festivals.

Being honest I did so little research for the films this year that I was, bar 3 events, always in the Main Screening but to answer the point of the title of the thread, having a standout film - be it a big "Hollywood" film or something that is brilliant doesn't indicate what the quality is like from year to year.

For example, Sleep Tight still rings in my head to this day - a sleeper hit that was a surprise to me and utterly brilliant. Sure, I can remember other films that were on the year it was shown but they all pale in comparison, so much so that I can't remember if they were much good unless I think about it film by film. So they are either good films I've forgotten, bad films I've forgetten, or good films that seem worse because Sleep Tight was so marvellous.

I will say that speaking to people everyday and judging from peoples Top 5s, it does seem the best films were in Discovery but that of itself doesn't mean the films are less quality than previous years.
I think the bottom line for me is, most people (I think) would prefer if the festival stuck to a variety of films and not just have silly light hearted films and mostly unknown films for this year and last. I really want the more publicised, critically acclaimed films as well as the unknown/undiscovered films. This is meant to be a horror/fantasy film festival. I want to be tense, scared and blown away. There are far too many light hearted/B-movie films. One or two is fine, but the last couple of years its been more of a B-movie, Scyfy channel style 5 days than a quality mixture of critically acclaimed anticipated films, undiscoverd gems and the odd lighter hearted film.

The difference in quality between 2008/09/10/11/12/13/14 and 2015/16 is huge.

Less "Lederhosen Zombies/Zombeavers/Ibiza Undead" and more "Martyrs/Sleep Tight/Babadook" please Frightfest.
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

Of the films I saw, I would say there were about half a dozen or so that I really rated and would want to re-watch, but that's about par for the course in my experience. To discover the gems, you have to sit through a lot of cookie cutter stuff and a fair amount of dreck - that's just a given. This is my fifth full year, and I don't remember it ever being much different.
Lunny68
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Lunny68 »

I agree with plenty that has been said on here. You certainly do forget the unforgettable ones as each year rolls by and if you looked into it, you'd find that each year has always had some absolute stinkers. Step forward Zombie Women of Satan, Outcast and Tulpa for example.

For me, what doesn't help is if it takes until at least late afternoon on the second day before seeing something that really grabs me, as by then you're on a bit of a downer. I like a cracking semi serious start, followed by some good fun. The year we had Seasoning House followed by Cockneys vs Zombies was particularly successful I thought. That way, you go into Friday, more forgiving for the few clunkers that may be on the horizon!

Also agree that there must be a fight going on with other fests. I see that the London Film Festival has a remastered Phantasm showing, which I'm sure we'd have lapped up as a starter on Sunday morning for example.
Tyrannosaurus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Tyrannosaurus »

dundermifflin wrote:
The difference in quality between 2008/09/10/11/12/13/14 and 2015/16 is huge.
In fairness, 2012 had quite a few people who thought the lineup was weak prior to Sleep Tight. Fairly sure I remember a topic about that on these forums.

Agreed about 2016, to an extent, but... it can't get better every year.

Disagreed very much on 2015, it had some brilliant films like We Are Still Here, The Hallow, Emilie and even The Sand, really. Thought that one film with the haunted tower was good but then it insisted on shoving the final girl convention into a movie it didn't belong in.
anaana
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by anaana »

[quote="ChrisReynolds"][quote="dundermifflin"][quote="DJBenz"]

Shockwave Darkside was 2014.[/quote]

Yup you're right, I'm still damaged by it. But my point still stands, last year and this year were poor.[/quote]
Both 2014 and 2015 had poor lineups in my opinion. I definitely think this year was an improvement on 2015, most of that was so mediocre, and though 2014 had a lot of good stuff, it balanced it out with some really awful stuff like [i]Nymph[/i], [i]X Moor[/i], [i]VHS Viral[/i], and the infamous [i]Shockwave Darkside[/i].

2012 and 2013 were both good lineups and above average. The gold standard should be 2008 which included [i]Eden Lake[/i], [i]Time Crimes[/i], [i]Mum & Dad[/i], [i]The Chaser[/i],[i] Let the Right One In[/i] and [i]Martyrs[/i].[/quote]

Yes, that 2008 list makes me weep !!!
argento1977
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by argento1977 »

For the last 2 or 3 years, the London Film Festival has run a cult movies programme of about 10 movies, most of which are horror. Looking at this year's line-up I wonder if it is having an adverse effect availability for both main and Halloween Frightfests eg this year has Creepy, Phantasm 4K remaster and the new one from The Troll Hunter director to name but 3 that are Frightfest movies at heart.
killer guinea pigs
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by killer guinea pigs »

Sadly i agree that things have gone down hill (no pun intended) slightly.

Do you remember when frightfest used to have a major players turn up like george a romero or john landis, hellboy with the cast and crew or christopher nolan, danny boyle or argento etc

this year we had over 200 guests.........well i recognised that bloke from lord of the rings and andy nyman but not anyone else.

we all paid £185 for a pass and i dont give a crap about politics for this and that i just want the best films please otherwise i might as well just go to grim up north and pay £65 for a pass and watch most of the same films in manchester........which offers very good value for the cost.

celluloid screams in sheffield seems to be great value as well.

the problem with frightfest is most of the world premieres seem to be included just to say we have a world premeire ...how exciting but this is just a gimmick. most are rubbish that wont turn up anywhere else and wont go onto other festivals.

when other major fests around the world show dont breathe or the woods etc other fests want them..............name one frightfest premiere world that turned out to be a blockbuster where other festivals said we want that film........some low budget films are good like broken and nina forever but they were british films with uk or horror fan interest.

this year cell was released the day after frightfest so only a filler on opening night and in my opinion shouldnt have been shown for that reason not because it was absoulute crap and train to busan although fantastic was online for download before the fest began which someone i work with told me about !!

i too thought the first few days were hard work and not sure it got much better later on.

if your not happy about this then dont buy a pass next year..............but we all will again as there is a lot to enjoy but more transparancy about the way things are would be nice but we never got a explanation about why shockwave or bubba chilli parlour was shown so iam not holding my breath !