Man Underground

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Man Underground

Post by WraithApe »

I'm surprised so few people seem to be talking about this one. It was probably the standout of the fest for me. Like Another Evil, testament to what can be achieved with a tiny budget when the idea, script and acting are strong. I like the fact it gradually becomes apparent that it's not really about what it first appears to be but is actually a more profound, though understated study of the human condition. For me, this was actually a lot more moving than the rather conventional existentialism and emotional signposting of something like Realive, which played like a Calvin Klein ad at times. Really compelling, naturalistic performances across the board.
ThanaNiveau
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Man Underground

Post by ThanaNiveau »

We also thought this one was excellent. Yes, a real testament to what you can do with almost no money. It really shows up the films with bigger budgets who can't hit the right notes or tell a coherent story.
I delight in what I fear.
- Shirley Jackson
oddo
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by oddo »

I totally agree. 'Necessity is the mother of invention' rings so true with Man Underground.
Also surprised that it does not seem to get more attention.
Perfect tight construct and such a great cast...Absolutely flawless acting.
I found the movie to be endearing, sad and funny, all in equal measure.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

I'm glad to see positive feedback on this because I really wanted to see it, but it was up against Monolith and I knew I'd need something shiny and low effort to follow The Killing Of America just after breakfast :). I'll definitely keep an eye out for it now, so thanks to all who contributed above.
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

FranksWildYears wrote:I'm glad to see positive feedback on this because I really wanted to see it, but it was up against Monolith and I knew I'd need something shiny and low effort to follow The Killing Of America just after breakfast :). I'll definitely keep an eye out for it now, so thanks to all who contributed above.
How was Monolith? I had it pegged as a typical close quarters suspense movie in the Curve vein, so going to see Man Underground was an easy decision for me. It's been said in other threads, but I find most of the really interesting films at FF on the Discovery screens these days. Anything I have pegged as too cookie cutter or just plain rubbish looking on the Main screen, I'll look to see if I can find a more interesting alternative. This year, 3 of my top 5 came from the Disco screens.

I did think about seeing The Killing of America too, but it seemed a bit too early in the day for what I assumed would be a pretty heavyweight documentary. One to seek out?
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

WraithApe wrote:I did think about seeing The Killing of America too, but it seemed a bit too early in the day for what I assumed would be a pretty heavyweight documentary.
Correct! But I braved it anyway...
One to seek out?
Yes. Severin made the new remaster... no idea if there'll be a UK or you'll have to import one.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

sherbetbizarre wrote:
One to seek out?
Yes. Severin made the new remaster... no idea if there'll be a UK or you'll have to import one.
Severin Films is releasing it in the UK on October 26th on DVD & Blu-ray.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Cheers!
CharleySays
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by CharleySays »

Glad this is getting some love, it was probably my favourite of the weekend. Usually with a low budget film you have to make some excuses, like the script was good but the acting wasn't, or the acting was great but it looked pretty shitty, but with this one I thought it was pretty much perfect in every respect.

Also I ended up chatting to the writer/directors at the post-festival drinks and they were two of the nicest people I've ever met! Can't wait to see what they follow this one up with.