Walking in and out of theater

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
anaana
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Walking in and out of theater

Post by anaana »

Frightfest has done a great job over the years ensuring no one will leave their phones on and disturb a movie with an annoying ring tone.
I think it is time we turn our attention to people walking in and out in the middle of a movie. And I don't mean 2 or 3 people who may have had an "emergency" during the movie (yeah, right!). I mean dozens of people walking in and out as if they were in the living rooms of their freaking houses.

In the Arrow screen we had a few "frequent walkers" in the first 5-6 rows. People who I discovered were walking in and out in every single movie. Then, for example in the Train to Busan screening, I swear we had no less than 50 walk-in / walk-out incidents during the film. Several separate groups of people got up, walked out and came back in with beer and food at several points IN THE MIDDLE of the film.

What the f*** is that about??

Let's stop this nonsense and start shaming "walkers" as we would anyone with a phone on.
wakko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Walking in and out of theater

Post by wakko »

It will be hard and is not necessarily justified. Look, I don't even drink beer to avoid going to the loo, but still I had to go twice during films over the weekend. This is a basic need.
I also go to the theatre or classic music events where you have a stricter late comer and no food policy, but cinema is different. I am also not a big fan of the loud cruncher and nibble my stuff discreetly during loud scenes. In the end it is a social event where people associate popcorn, ice cream, cheering, etc. with watching a film in the dark with OTHER people - since existence of cinema. Phones is an absolute "no", but stopping people from going to the loo or buying beverages is a bit totalitarian. If this is all too annoying, you have to watch within the safe bubble of your home cinema.
killer guinea pigs
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by killer guinea pigs »

funnily enough i had a guy next to me over the weekend who seemed to get up during every other film but it wasnt a problem as no real distraction. people could have medical needs or dont want to disturb others if they have to take a call or need to eat.

if there are groups of the same people up and down and clearly not concentrating on the film then yes this shouldnt happen but i dont think this is very common........you must have been with the wrong people in the wrong place which is i agree very annoying.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Short Film Showcase 3 was crazy in this respect... every time something finished we seemed to rotate half the audience.

But the Horror Channel screen didn't seem to have this issue.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

anaana wrote:In the Arrow screen we had a few "frequent walkers" in the first 5-6 rows. People who I discovered were walking in and out in every single movie.
I was sitting in that part of the Arrow screen and you're right, there were a few people who frequently turned up halfway through a film, decided it was too difficult to get to their seats - or, repeatedly, couldn't work out where their seats were - then sat in some random empty seats... then left again before the end. Sometimes about five minutes before the end.

I can't say I found it particularly distracting though, it was more amusing than anything else. Certainly not as annoying as phones or rustling food packets.
thatcambridgebird
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by thatcambridgebird »

*Theatre

I'm afraid if you don't like it, as others have said, you might need to watch films from the comfort of your own home. I absolutely hate disturbances in the cinema but people walking out to nip to the loo or take an emergency call/message really don't bother me - they're generally doing so in order to not disturb people more by shuffling around or fiddling with their mobiles.

Suggesting people should be made to come in, sit down and stay still is pretty ridiculous. You don't know what medical conditions some folks might have which mean they have to move, and honestly from what others have said it sounds like the problem is with you (OP) being distracted more than everyone else.
SilverGunnar Hansen
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by SilverGunnar Hansen »

Part of the problem is gonna be with the wealth of choice / amount of dross - many people will check a film out for half an hour then decide against it (I lasted 15 minutes in 31 before bailing for The Neighbour), which means sometimes being late for another movie. I was late arriving on the Thursday night, so missed first 15 mins of My Father Die, so I just took a random available seat. Don't think that disturbs anyone. Equally if someone wants to check out the last half hour of a movie, or just wants their seat for that time while waiting for others (I've done both on occasion), not much can be done, just have to encourage decorum and common sense regarding audience disruption.

On another note - did the extra screenings go ahead at all?
MrsBBC
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by MrsBBC »

jonbly wrote:Short Film Showcase 3 was crazy in this respect... every time something finished we seemed to rotate half the audience
SFS 3 was rammed, the other too were significantly emptier and didn't suffer this. However SFS 3 filled a gap in the timetable that allowed people to watch 30 mins-1hr of shorts before watching their next scheduled film, hence a lot of the earlier walkout waves.
There also seemed to be more representation from those involved with the shorts than the other two showcases so it's also likely that some people selfishly left after their film.
Some people are just butts. It was a very strong showcase.