First timers

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
Wenda over the Rolls
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

First timers

Post by Wenda over the Rolls »

Hi all you first timers. I have had loads of 'welcomes' from the Frightfest family, but am still a little anxious about hanging out for 5 days, although I'm pretty chatty so shouldn't have a problem.
Hope you're all gonna make the most of the socials in The Phoenix - see you all there?
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: First timers

Post by Alex J »

Welcome to all first timers!

This might also be an opportunity for someone to clarify the rules (e.g. what can we take / not take into the auditorium etc) for the first timers and also as a reminder for the rest of us, plus it does vary from venue to venue.
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
scarebear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by scarebear »

Wenda over the Rolls wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:21 pm Hi all you first timers. I have had loads of 'welcomes' from the Frightfest family, but am still a little anxious about hanging out for 5 days, although I'm pretty chatty so shouldn't have a problem.
Hope you're all gonna make the most of the socials in The Phoenix - see you all there?
Welcome Wenda. FYI Theres a lot of us on our own (including me) but thats what makes it good fun. You get to meet a great crowd, have a laugh and watch some top class movies. Dont forget there is the quiz on Wednesday night at the Two Brewers in Monmouth Street to kick things off!
Commodore
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Commodore »

Alex J wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:18 am Welcome to all first timers!

This might also be an opportunity for someone to clarify the rules (e.g. what can we take / not take into the auditorium etc) for the first timers and also as a reminder for the rest of us, plus it does vary from venue to venue.
Any chainsaws taken into the auditorium should be electric, rather than petrol powered. The fumes can get overwhelming after a while. :D

Please turn your phone off during films, and on silent during Q&As etc.

Other than that, it's standard cinema/code of conduct rules.

Post if I've missed anything.

Thanks
Chris
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

My first time I was paranoid about what food I could take into the screens. There I was trying to discreetly take stuff into the cinema, hoping my bag didn't get searched and if it did that I'd "covered" the food well enough.

Then I got in my seat and covertly opened the food and looked around then dived into my bag and took a bite then held my hand over my mouth to disguise the chewing.

Then a couple came in with a full KFC bucket meal and another couple came in with what looked like a picnic hamper from Pret.

Whether things have changed now with the IMAX and it being a Cineworld I don't know, but the Vue were pretty relaxed about our own food and drinks, as were the Westfield in 2016.

They make a good chunk of money from their own confectionery, ice cream and bar sales anyway because even I'm partial to a foil-wrapped, plastic glass of red wine and a hot dog that's been kept warm for 15 hours.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Wenda over the Rolls wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:21 pm Hi all you first timers. I have had loads of 'welcomes' from the Frightfest family, but am still a little anxious about hanging out for 5 days, although I'm pretty chatty so shouldn't have a problem.
Hello Wenda
Make sure you come over to seat F41 - F43 where you meeting me Sheridan and buddies Stefan and Greg. Will be great to see you. There are plenty of people waiting for post screening chats.
No long now!
Nottsey.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey
Wenda over the Rolls
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Thanks guys, I've been for the last 4 years but only to like 3 films a time. First time full on weekend.
I'm in G5 so over other side but will say Hi
Thanks, so looking forwards to it
Wenda over the Rolls
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Didn't know about quiz tomorrow, not sure I can make it, but never say never
Wenda over the Rolls
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

I'm in Horror Screen is that same as you Nottsy?
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Whiptail »

Its my first time too and im more scared of finding my way to the right screen, getting my bits and bobs and meeting the lot of you than I am of the movies!
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Half way through Friday and all you first timers will be walking around like its your own home...

...while looking disparagingly at those only in attendance for the usual cinema stuff who'll be looking back with bemused puzzlement.
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

Welcome and congrats on joining the frightfest family.
We are a happy bunch most of the time...come say hello if you see any of us but don't be shy...every one is helpful and pretty much there for the same reasons you are :)

Enjoy!
KrisK
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by KrisK »

I echo much of what has already been said, it's always nice to have new people join us veterans!

FF is a very friendly place to visit, i've always been alright engaging with others around me and as a result the group we now have is huge and those friendships started from a mutual love of horror movies.

Advice to new people...

Be mindful of film start times, they do get going pretty much on time as they have to
Please don't overdo it on the alcohol, its a long day from 11am to 1am the next morning
Keep your phone off please, this is a given at FF and let's not have a good film spoiled
It's ok when people clap and laugh and cheer at films, some movies really play well to the FF crowd
Break times between films can be tight but there's usually time in an evening to get something more substantial
Toilet queues can get quite long, be patient

Most of all have fun while you are there. Hopefully you'll get to see all the films you want to, some you will lovem some you will think are decent and some you may think i'm never watching that again. 5 days in a cinema in August isn't for everyone, we are a special bunch (in a good way)
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Wenda over the Rolls wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:37 pm I'm in Horror Screen is that same as you Nottsy?
I'm guessing our paths didn't meeting during this years festival. Did meet so many new people. Hope you had a great time, I'm still recovering, but in the best way. Looking forward to the next one.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey