Killing Ground

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Killing Ground

Post by jonbly »

7/10 - Pretty good example of the running-around-in-the-woods genre. But I need closure, dammit! What happened to Banjo?
svengalidonut
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Killing Ground

Post by svengalidonut »

8/10. Strong film. Stunning image of the toddler in the background , unnoticed, distressed and zig=zagging aimlessly.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A cracker - grim and gripping,
Spoiler:
the latest Australian thriller in the post-Ivan Milat era.
I liked the merging timelines even if it did take a few scenes for me to cotton on. A few twists and turns along with a couple of deliciously brutal moments really made an impact. 8 5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

Fairly simple generic set up, but excellent execution.

I liked the interaction of the different timelines, and totally agree on the aforementioned toddler in the background shot.

Great stuff
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

This is the one film I really regret not seeing on the main screen. Sounds really good from what everyone's saying. I went to see Devil's Gate instead, which definitely wasn't worth it.
hingethunder
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by hingethunder »

Yes, this was great and extremely bleak. Loved the two timelines.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Probably not a film which is going to get a great deal of attention, but I thought it was very well done indeed.

It never got really graphically violent but there was still a grim sense of foreboding almost from the very beginning, bolstered by very strong performances rather than the usual cardboard-cutout horror movie characters. The director seemed determined to keep things as realistic as possible.

I heard a few mutterings about the boyfriend's less-than-heroic actions, which did prevent the film from having a neat and tidy happy ending, but in reality going for the police would probably be a more sensible choice than single-handedly tackling a havily-armed nutter with nothing much to lose.

And yes, that was a great shot of the baby wandering around in the background!
greenzombidog
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by greenzombidog »

I found nearly Every scene involving the baby heart breaking. Terribly grim movie and quite difficult to watch at times, still I would recommend checking it out to anyone that missed it at the festival.
In the dark womb we ate hot slime
leytonrocks
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by leytonrocks »

I loved it... One of my faves of 2017... Any film that has me reaching for Carol Glover's Men, Women and Chainsaws is my kind of horror

Urbanoia horror rules
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

jonbly wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:55 am 7/10 - Pretty good example of the running-around-in-the-woods genre. But I need closure, dammit! What happened to Banjo?
Survived...

Must of if he beat a wild boar.

Very good film, slow burn but not slow paced. Well acted, without knowing too much about characters had the necessary sympathy for the victims and dislike for the villains.

Good visuals and nicely ambiguous too.

7.5/10
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

This was a cracking film..more so as it was first up...one major "you can't do that in movies" scene but they worked well and I liked this. I know for god damn sure I'm not going to the Australian outback for a holiday...forget that!
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

One of the best of the festival. This was an intense thriller that went down well with the crowd. It doesn't do anything new, so that might be a problem in its memorability, but the way it tells its story, with its dual timelines and gradually rising level of intensity helps to fix the viewer's attention on the film. This was definitely the cruellest and nastiest film of the festival, but even so it could have gone a lot more brutal. The worst of the horrors are cut away from so it's no Eden Lake or Wolf Creek. There's some tough and provocative questions asked about what you'd do in the same situation, and I liked that the characters didn't always do what you'd expect them to do, and the way their actions gradually laid bare their inner characters. The feels like it ends abruptly with a lot of things unresolved; I think a film filled with tension like this needs to end with a solid punch rather than the melancholy and questioning ending we got.

I don't know why this was scheduled for the Sunday morning slot. I think it could have swapped places with The End? at least. As it was the cinema seemed noticeably emptier than usual.
PolisKanin
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by PolisKanin »

Killing Ground was my favourite film I saw at the festival. (I preferred Crow's Blood, but that was a TV series, not a film.)
Very dark and effective. Whilst somewhat similar to some other films, it did enough to feel fresh and original. 7/10