Book of Monsters

The place to discuss FrightFest 2018 - Dates this year are 23 - 27th August.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Book of Monsters

Post by Alex J »

Full disclosure - I was one of the Kickstarter backers (so I won't score this one), but I'm glad I was, because this is a terrific, old school, practical effects driven British horror that is full of charm. I'd definitely be interested in a sequel or spin-off - great characters, super monsters and I loved the mythology that is built up. Humour, fun, gore - all can be found in this inventive throwback.

A special mention too for the short beforehand, Mannequins, which I also enjoyed.
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
MrsE
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Book of Monsters

Post by MrsE »

Looking forward to where they take part 2. This was funny and inventive with some great effects.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Absolutely loved this, thought I'd try it out cos I didn't fancy Ravers in the main screen and it turned out to be one of my favourites of the fest. I'd seen the trailer and it looked a bit cheap and I wasn't expecting much, but this was great fun, hilarious and a great old school 80s vibe to it, would be a great one to show to mates at a party. Good to see a crowd funding exercise produce something as worthwhile as this.

And yes the Mannequins short was great too, funny but with an uneasy and creepy edge provided by using the mannequins.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I enjoyed this quite a bit, as it gave me exactly what I was hoping for: low-budget monster-packed fun full of practical effects. I wish something fun and colourful like this could have been on the main screen to shake things up rather than one of the numerous dimly-lit slow-burn horrors.

The limitations of the budget are obvious, especially as the movie gets towards the end, and it can't quite get as crazy and destructive as a higher-budget film could have done. This means that the best section of the film is the initial build-up and up to the end of the first monster attack. They handle it in a fun tongue-in-cheek way that builds up the anticipation and delivers a lot of laughs.

There are decent monster costumes and satisfyingly bloody gore throughout. Special mention to the killer gnomes which were hilarious. This is leaps and bounds beyond this team's debut feature The Creature Below. I'm interested to see what they do next.

CONFLICT OF INTEREST DISCLAIMER: I contributed £10 towards this on Kickstarter.