Come to Daddy

jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Come to Daddy

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - Nice twist, then heads off the rails in the second half (in a good way). What Tarantino should be doing.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Come to Daddy

Post by mamawaldi »

Best opening film for some years. Superb performances, a wonderfully dark story and some big laughs too.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

One of those films that starts off as one type before shifting into something different. I found the tone to be a little uneven in this blend of humour, thrills and some darker elements. One kill in particular stands out. All in all, a number of positives, but I thought they didn't entirely gel together to be a satisfying whole. 7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Saw the twist coming a mile off, mainly because it's exactly the same as
Spoiler:
M. Night Shyamalan's The Visit
but didn't expect it to go where it did. 3.5/5
leytonrocks
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by leytonrocks »

A wonderful three fold film... Father and son reunion to haunted house to pulpy revenge thriller rolled into one

Loved the tonal changes and Smiley's dentures
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

A great opening film and set the bar high, perhaps too high.

Great ensemble piece, pitch black humour, good creeps, good silliness, the only thing that really put me off with Wood's moustache.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

A slow burn start that quickly picked up once dad started throwing a load of 'c' words in Elijah Wood's direction. Although it was also around this point that I guessed what the first twist was going to be. Overall though it was an entertaining way to start the festival with plenty of laughs (at some point in their lives I'm sure most people have had to struggle with the dilemma of whether it would be better to swallow their own ear or someone else's semen). As funny as that revelation was though nothing, but nothing, could prepare me for the WTF? moment that was the Michael Heseltine gag that came completely out of nowhere and had me applauding the makers (even with the explanatory "he's a British politician" follow up line I should imagine that joke will fly over the heads of 90% of the worldwide audience!). 7/10.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I knew what the twist was going to be almost straight away, but the interactions between Wood and McHattie were very entertaining. Unfortunately they finished all too soon, and then there was a lot of dead time where nothing much happens, before the film moved into a final act plagued by characters suffering plot-induced stupidity. Michael Smiley's appearance was also a highlight, but I thought this was a film of great performances but a weak script.
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Whiptail »

I didnt rate this very highly, mainly because there wasnt a single character that I liked throughout the entire thing. Creepy guys dont scare me and I found it all rather dull.