Feedback

Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Feedback

Post by Alex J »

A tense thriller, mainly using a single room, punctuated by bursts of ultra-violence and gore. I love the guessing game of
Spoiler:
who is telling the truth and who isn't.
8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Re: Feedback

Post by DJBenz »

Solid thriller, good performances deliver a tense storyline. Wasn't keen on the way
Spoiler:
the clearly horrible bastard managed to get away with everything (again)
but I guess that happens in life sometimes. 3/5
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

To its credit the plot is very topical, taking in Brexit and historical sex abuse, and has some tense moments, but is compromised by an awkward and confused moral message that hadn't been thought through and made the victims come across as maniacs. It's like the script wanted you to be unsure who deserves your sympathy, but the main characters are hateful. Eddie Marsan is a good enough actor to hold the viewer's attention throughout.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Marsan was great of course and got to sound off on Brexit and the like. Good setting and atmosphere although I don't think the film achieved the change in audience sympathy along the way that it wanted to. They should have made more use of that "silent" room which had great horror potential! Fine for a Saturday afternoon
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Given the restricted locations, it's all about the performances. Eddie Marsan is reliably good, Richard Brake is a menacing but surprisingly complex presence. It's let down by Ivana Baquero, with her weird American accent, playing an unsympathetic character who isn't just manic but appears to have multiple personalities.
If the film had a message, it seemed to get lost along the way.