Tales from the Lodge

DJBenz
-----
-----

Tales from the Lodge

Post by DJBenz »

Really loved this one after knowing next to nothing about it. Smartly written and great comic timing, as well as being very self-aware.

I was disappointed to see chatter online afterwards lamenting
Spoiler:
the ending as transphobic though.
Jon H
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Tales from the Lodge

Post by Jon H »

I don’t think those concerns should be dismissed, I can see how it could be viewed in that way. It was a clumsy way to
Spoiler:
portray a LGBT+ / Trans character
and have to admit it made me feel uneasy.

I’m sure it wasn’t intended to offend, but a bit more thought and sensitivity would have gone a long way.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

I felt uneasy too, but only because I thought "Uh-oh, someone is going to take offence at that", however
Spoiler:
as a white cis male I guess I'm not well placed to judge whether or not it *is* offensive. Is it misogyny to have a female antagonist? Is it misandry to have a male antagonist? Homophobia to have a gay antagonist? Racism to have a person of colour as an antagonist?

Technically the antagonist in this was a spurned gay man who transitioned to hide his identity in order to get revenge.

Horror fandom seems to hold Sleepaway Camp dear, surely this film is transphobic too? Especially as it's from an era that didn't give much, if any, thought to offending people.
Far too confusing an issue for my simple mind!
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

The tone and the actors involved make it seem like something that would play on BBC3. After some bad experiences with Frightfest portmanteaus I was expecting something awful, but it's actually not too bad. Its main problems stem from a low density of jokes and a lack of strong endings for the story segments.

Personally I felt the ending was parodying transphobic horror tropes and that the movie was good-natured enough that it didn't seem like it wanted to hurt anyone, but I can see that people might reasonably take offense.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

DJBenz wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:59 pm
Spoiler:
as a white cis male I guess I'm not well placed to judge whether or not it *is* offensive. Is it misogyny to have a female antagonist? Is it misandry to have a male antagonist? Homophobia to have a gay antagonist? Racism to have a person of colour as an antagonist?

Technically the antagonist in this was a spurned gay man who transitioned to hide his identity in order to get revenge.

Horror fandom seems to hold Sleepaway Camp dear, surely this film is transphobic too? Especially as it's from an era that didn't give much, if any, thought to offending people.
Jesus.

If this is the way horror films are going, being infected with the cult of identity politics, then nothing is sacred.

Then again, nothing is sacred from the perpetually offended except their own offence taking.