Allocating Discovery Screen Tickets

Have your say on what you would like to see new, changed or just kept the same at the next FrightFest.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Re: Allocating Discovery Screen Tickets

Post by streetrw »

I too arrived early - about 9.15 - on both days I was after Disco screens, and by the time I got to the desk there were still plenty left for all the films (on the second day one film, Contracted, did run out of tickets while I was in the queue, though I wasn't queueing for that film.) Despite the length of the queue I got all the tickets I wanted - Paranormal Diaries on the Friday, The Desert and Wither on the Sunday - and there were still empty seats for all three films.

Given the very limited seating in Screens 4 and 5, it's difficult to know what can be done, short of having another screen for overflow. The trouble is that the Empire isn't just catering to FrightFest: they'd got "regular" movies on for "real" people as well and they obviously don't want to stop that money coming in through the door.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

Well what about as someone suggested previously that festival pass holders can reserve tickets when they have bought their passes. 1 seat per pass for each movie in the Disco screens. That is still first come first served without the later hassle. :)

That would result in no long queues in the morning :D or at any time during the festival and people could just go into the screen as they do for the main screen offerings.

Ive got a blinding idea :# - WESTFIELD SHOPPING CENTRE :p - They have loads of screens and if they would let us have lets say 5 we would be sorted. Comfy seats, amazing sound. Ok no screen as nice as the main one at the Empire but still. Food places are write under the cinema and there are many to choose from. Shepherds Bush has loads of pubs too. Everything is there that we need.

This suggestion has nothing to do with the fact that I live 10 minutes away from Westfield and that there is a MAC (make up shop), Top Shop and H&M near the Vue cinema ;)

sneaky 8)
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I had no real problem with the Discovery Screen.

But then again I go into a certain survival mode which means I can survive on limited sleep and get in a queue for 8.30, though it has got longer each year.

Thing is, I'm not choosey of the films I see, so I'm not going to be massively disappointed if I don't get specific tickets, this comes with not researching films and just going on the fly.

When the repeats showings started on Sun/Mon you'd have a better chance of getting the tickets.

I missed out on For Elisa on Friday and that was it.

Willow Creek sold out on the Sat before I got anywhere, but I got more or less the last Stalled ticket.

My problem (and it depends how the screen restructure works) is that, much like the sleepy queue, it may end up getting more competitive and start earlier and earlier each year.

I think I heard the front of the Disco queue were getting there at about 7.30.

And of course you have queue jumpers, but I'm assuming this is tolerated because its OK to do it in the sleepy queue (bait, bait).
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

For information:

Screen 1: THX – 56K Watt certified sound system.
1330 Seats
8 Wheelchair Spaces

Screen 2: DIGITAL CINEMA
304 Seats
Full Stadium Seating
Premium Seating

Screen 4: DIGITAL CINEMA
96 Seats
2 Wheelchair Spaces

Screen 5: DIGITAL CINEMA
48 Seats

Screen 6: DIGITAL CINEMA
26 Seats

Screen 7: DIGITAL CINEMA
58 Seats
1 Wheelchair Space

Screen 8: DIGITAL CINEMA
48 Seats
1 Wheelchair Space

Screen 9: DIGITAL CINEMA
42 Seats
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

TheDukeAbides wrote:And of course you have queue jumpers, but I'm assuming this is tolerated because its OK to do it in the sleepy queue (bait, bait).
Ok, I'll bite :lol:

I think Ian brought this up - ie stop queue jumping - because there's a difference.

Discovery is one ticket per person - so if you see someone queue jumping ahead, then you're a place down. Whereas someone in front of you in the sleepy queue may be buying 7 tickets anyway, irrespective if his mates join him or not.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Just have to hope the mates joining/pushing in ahead aren't also buying multiple tickets then.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

I think there's going to be a big difference in the Discovery screen presence at FF2014 with the changes to Screen One. Year on year we've seen demand and queues for Disco films get bigger, to the point this year I guess more people missed out than were successful in getting tickets for alternatives.

Not sure how they'll do it, but I can't imagine that anyone would think putting Discovery in a 98 / 48 seat screen next year would be a good plan. :s
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I can't see anything but less seats being available for FF2014 too - so I'm pretty sure the Sleepy Queue may be more ridiculous/competitive too.

Money has to be made and obviously a £12 single ticket or £60 day pass is more profitable than a £170 weekend pass (£6.50 per film).

Wonder what the logistics of holding it over 2 cinemas might actually be.

I really don't envy the people trying to plan this, but I do like the fun of trying to guess what might happen.