Shouting At People Regarding Phones During Movies

Have your say on what you would like to see new, changed or just kept the same at the next FrightFest.
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Shouting At People Regarding Phones During Movies

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

I think FFest 2013 has been the best year so far for people showing consideration for others with regards to their phones. There were a few who could not resist (there always will be) which I found annoying, especially when the person in question was in the row in front or downstairs where people like me behind them couldn't help but clock it, BUT for those people who wish to prove a point and humiliate the phone addict by shouting

"TURN YOU"RE BLOODY PHONE OFF" at the top of their voice during the movie is equally bloody annoying :twisted: . In fact its worse because by doing that you guarantee to disturb absolutely everyone in the movie theatre.

I get that you've been distracted and that is a shame, but I haven't been, especially when I haven't been close enough or in the right position to be effected, but you've made damn sure I suffer as well. In fact I was disturbed more times by people mentioned in this post than by those being naughty and keeping their phones on :-
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
DJBenz
-----
-----

Re: Shouting At People Regarding Phones During Movies

Post by DJBenz »

BabyJaneHudson wrote:I think FFest 2013 has been the best year so far for people showing consideration for others with regards to their phones.
It definitely has, but if people stopped shouting at others when they used their phones then I suspect it might start to creep back in again. The idents are good as a reminder, but there's nothing like actually being asked/told to switch it off.

And spare a thought for those that do actually tap people on the shoulder and ask them quietly to turn them off, rather than shouting out. Unsung heroes. :D
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

DJBenz wrote:
BabyJaneHudson wrote:I think FFest 2013 has been the best year so far for people showing consideration for others with regards to their phones.
It definitely has, but if people stopped shouting at others when they used their phones then I suspect it might start to creep back in again. The idents are good as a reminder, but there's nothing like actually being asked/told to switch it off.

And spare a thought for those that do actually tap people on the shoulder and ask them quietly to turn them off, rather than shouting out. Unsung heroes. :D
I thought the same myself, that the humiliation factor of being balled at would deter others from keeping their phones on which is probably true to a certain extent. For the peeps who have used some common sense and realised a tap on the shoulder and a polite "do you mind..." is sufficient - I thank you for not disturbing me. :)

Also I can envisage someone shouting at someone one day, but picking on the wrong person who either has their period and is extremely hormonal :x or has high testosterone levels or a very short fuse and telling them in return to F off :- :twisted: in no uncertain terms and a fight breaking out with popcorn flying all over the shop, people getting caught up in the mayhem in the nearby seats :o , ushers being called to break it up albeit reluctantly because they aren't paid enough to risk getting punched in the face, everyone else forgetting about the movie and chanting "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!" like we used to do in the school playground (ok not the last bit but).....I can feel it in my waters that this may happen one day if this shouting catches on too much and people start feeling that its ok to do it all the time.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

satanslittlehelper
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by satanslittlehelper »

BabyJaneHudson wrote:
DJBenz wrote:

I thought the same myself, that the humiliation factor of being balled at would deter others from keeping their phones on which is probably true to a certain extent. For the peeps who have used some common sense and realised a tap on the shoulder and a polite "do you mind..." is sufficient - I thank you for not disturbing me. :)

Also I can envisage someone shouting at someone one day, but picking on the wrong person who either has their period and is extremely hormonal :x or has high testosterone levels or a very short fuse and telling them in return to F off :- :twisted: in no uncertain terms and a fight breaking out with popcorn flying all over the shop, people getting caught up in the mayhem in the nearby seats :o , ushers being called to break it up albeit reluctantly because they aren't paid enough to risk getting punched in the face, everyone else forgetting about the movie and chanting "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!" like we used to do in the school playground (ok not the last bit but).....I can feel it in my waters that this may happen one day if this shouting catches on too much and people start feeling that its ok to do it all the time.
In some cases it felt like we were not even 10 seconds into a film (opening creds) before someone yelled out...almost like they were looking for it....
"If you were the only suspect in a senseless bloodbath - would you be standing in the horror section?"
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

BabyJaneHudson wrote: "TURN YOU"RE BLOODY PHONE OFF" at the top of their voice during the movie is equally bloody annoying :twisted: . In fact its worse because by doing that you guarantee to disturb absolutely everyone in the movie theatre.

I get that you've been distracted and that is a shame, but I haven't been, especially when I haven't been close enough or in the right position to be effected, but you've made damn sure I suffer as well. In fact I was disturbed more times by people mentioned in this post than by those being naughty and keeping their phones on :-
Totally agree, I was getting really sick of this being bellowed across the auditorium.

The worst was some guy in the middle block behind me, in row P I think, who kept yelling "OI DICKHEAD, TURN YOU'RE PHONE OFF" on the Thursday night before You're Next and on Friday morning before Dyatlov Pass...thankfully he didn't do it again after that, but I would have yelled shut up at him if he did! There's a difference between forcefully telling someone to turn off their force and being a rude insulting twat by calling someone you don't know a dickhead.

I think sometimes people may just remember their phone may have the volume on, and quickly turn it on just to put it on silent...but now people are no doubt getting scared of doing that because someone's going to try to be cool and be the first one to to yell "TURN YOUR PHONE OFF" across the theatre.

I think people need to be told, but the amount of yelling about phones was just getting ridiculous. Also, for the record despite all the constant shouting for phones to be turned off, I didn't actually see one person on their phone the whole time.
black_rainstorm
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by black_rainstorm »

Me and my friend hated the shouting, it made us feel so uncomfortable. At one point, someone said it in our direction and loads of people looked at us, even though we hadn't got our phone out. I wondered if it was someone infront as they had briefly got it out for two seconds. The worst one I saw was when someone went up to someone and got in their face, but to be fair that person had kept their mobile out when they were told to put it away.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Wolfshade wrote:...thankfully he didn't do it again after that
It would seem that the aversion therapy worked, then.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

I think sometimes people may just remember their phone may have the volume on, and quickly turn it on just to put it on silent...but now people are no doubt getting scared of doing that because someone's going to try to be cool and be the first one to to yell "TURN YOUR PHONE OFF" across the theatre.
I agree. This here is where some people's impatience might well prove a problem. I'm all for shouting at some idiot who is inconsiderately playing about with their phone during the actual movie but there were definitely people out there who were shouting out the moment the lights went down as if they couldn't wait to have a go. At least give people a chance before making your anger known to all and sundry. Some might actively be in the process of switching their phone off as the film starts. In fact I think it was day three as the first film was getting going that it suddenly occurred to me that I might have left my phone on. So I had the option of either taking it out to check during the actual film, causing the screen to light up and inevitable abuse to be immediately hurled my way, or else just leave it and hope no one rang me while the movie was in full flow. I'm sure a sudden loud vibrant ringtone at a key moment in the movie would have gone down a storm with everyone (as it was I chose to leave the phone in my pocket and got away with it too, cos when I checked after I had indeed left it switched on). Some people need to show a little restraint and at least wait a few seconds to find out if the potential offender is actually just turning their phone off anyway. Yes, I know we have some rather nice 'Turn Your Bloody Phone Off' shorts onscreen directly before the main film starts to remind everyone but people do still sometimes lapse and become forgetful (if you're only getting 4 hours sleep each night it's not hard) and pull their phone out at the last minute to check. If this is happening while the company production logos are flashing up onscreen before the credits have even started rolling properly is that really such a big problem? Give people a chance before getting all irate. I've never used my phone during a movie in all my years of cinema going and never will, but if someone starts shouting at me while I'm in the process of turning it off I will come looking for them once the final credits have rolled and have a not unsubtle word about their impatient manner. This can cut both ways so I'd advise using some common sense and restraint before hurling instructions out into the darkness. It might come back and bite you in the nether regions.
100HorrorFilms
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by 100HorrorFilms »

Hear, hear The Aylmer.

I had a moment too when I thought my phone was on and did the exact same as you. You're left with 3 choices a) Take it out, turn it off and have some numpty call you a c u next tuesday b) Leave it and pray that no-one rings or c) get up and go outside to check, which means about 7 people also having to get up to let you out.

Some people seem to live for the moment they can shout at someone during FF. If people are messing are messing about with their phone, fair enough, shout all you want but some people are just itching to have their anonymous five seconds of fame.
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

black_rainstorm wrote:Me and my friend hated the shouting, it made us feel so uncomfortable. At one point, someone said it in our direction and loads of people looked at us, even though we hadn't got our phone out. I wondered if it was someone infront as they had briefly got it out for two seconds. The worst one I saw was when someone went up to someone and got in their face, but to be fair that person had kept their mobile out when they were told to put it away.
Im really sorry you and your friend felt uncomfortable - I can totally understand why. Thankfully the vast majority of people are sane enough to know how NOT to go over board when making their feelings known and who are not attention seekers.

richskara
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by richskara »

It's the cinema equivalent of keyboard warriors. I used my phone at various points in the weekend (albeit with brightness turned down and down side of my chair) and no one challenged me though had they I'd have quite happily told them to go fuck themselves.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

And your neighbour was ok with this?
richskara
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by richskara »

Must have been never said anything.

Checking football scores on a Saturday aft > horror films
Donut
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Donut »

To shout literally seconds after the ident has finished is utterly moronic. They probably think they're cool for doing it but they just sound like pricks.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Frankly, if people can't put away their shiny little toys for two hours and watch the film they've specifically gone to see, there's something wrong with them. If the football scores, weather forecast and whether Auntie Mavis has made herself a bacon sandwich is more important than the film, what the hell are you doing in the cinema? Bored? Leave. Something better to do? Go and do it. Fact: your emails, Twitter feed and Milfs In Stetsons videos will wait.

I didn't see very many go on throughout the fest. There were a couple of occasions during Odd Thomas but frankly I couldn't be bothered: it was several seats away, only just in my eyeline and very brief. And for that movie I'd gone up to the back corner because - honest - my shirt was a bit whiffy and I wanted to have a bit of empty space around me (I went and changed it in the next break!). So he was in the back row as well, therefore there were only a few people he could have annoyed. I would have been more annoyed if it was brighter, longer and in view of far more people; it's a judgement call.

Last night I walked away from the last local screening of THE LONE RANGER because the place was nearly packed out and a Cineworld audience isn't nearly as considerate with their phones as a FrightFest audience.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!