FrightFest 2021

The place to discuss all things about the 2021 FrightFest Events
iomega
Frightfest Organiser
Frightfest Organiser

FrightFest 2021

Post by iomega »

It's time to get this new thread on the FrightFest 2021 events off and running.

The Cineworld, Leicester Square is reserved for our traditional five days over the August bank holiday weekend and we are activly working towards returning there for the 2021 Festival. And while I'm at it, I'm delighted to confirm that we also have dates for our October Halloween event reserved.

The dates are 26th to 30th of August and the 29th and 30th October.The event will be held in a safe manner and will adhere to whatever the current advice in place in August is.

Film submissions have been excellent and we already have a strong lineup waiting in the wings ready to be unleashed in August.

Clare, Helen, Greg, Alan, Paul and myself all look forward to welcoming FrightFesters back to the Cineworld Leicester Square in August.

Ian.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: FrightFest 2021

Post by The Aylmer »

Just wondering if there's any chance of a car parking discount again this year Ian? I'll be driving up from Twickenham to the Chinatown Q-Parks as per usual for the festival and see the prices have jumped up a bit since last time (as has the congestion charge which is now every day rather than just the lead in to the bank holiday weekend!). I know very few people drive to Frightfest but if there is a chance of a parking discount I for one would jump at it.
Bvmjain
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Bvmjain »

The Aylmer wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:59 pm Just wondering if there's any chance of a car parking discount again this year Ian? I'll be driving up from Twickenham to the Chinatown Q-Parks as per usual for the festival and see the prices have jumped up a bit since last time (as has the congestion charge which is now every day rather than just the lead in to the bank holiday weekend!). I know very few people drive to Frightfest but if there is a chance of a parking discount I for one would jump at it.
The following offer for free parking at NCP car parks until the end of August might be of some use to you.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-p ... ay-3765774
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

Worth noting that congestion charging is in effect 24/7 currently though: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge. It was brought in as a temporary measure during lockdown, but looks like it's here to stay - afaik Khan hasn't said anything about reverting to Mon-Fri 7-6. I used to drive in myself, but £15 a day congestion charge means it's not worth it. There's also ULEZ depending on the emissions cat of your vehicle.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Bvmjain wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:11 pm
The Aylmer wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:59 pm Just wondering if there's any chance of a car parking discount again this year Ian? I'll be driving up from Twickenham to the Chinatown Q-Parks as per usual for the festival and see the prices have jumped up a bit since last time (as has the congestion charge which is now every day rather than just the lead in to the bank holiday weekend!). I know very few people drive to Frightfest but if there is a chance of a parking discount I for one would jump at it.
The following offer for free parking at NCP car parks until the end of August might be of some use to you.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-p ... ay-3765774
Almost tempted to use that. Then I saw you're required to be out of the carpark before midnight to get the free parking offer and the reason I drive to Frightfest is so we can stay for the late night film so it won't apply (even on the Monday as we go to the Phoenix afterwards). Thanks anyway though.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

WraithApe wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:15 pm Worth noting that congestion charging is in effect 24/7 currently though: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge. It was brought in as a temporary measure during lockdown, but looks like it's here to stay - afaik Khan hasn't said anything about reverting to Mon-Fri 7-6. I used to drive in myself, but £15 a day congestion charge means it's not worth it. There's also ULEZ depending on the emissions cat of your vehicle.
Yeah, it's gone up a lot since the last Frightfest. I'm not affected by the ULEZ but that £15 a day is annoying. Although there's more than one of us in the car so if we split the cost it's still cheaper than coming in by tube. Not that I'd want to get the train anyway as then we'd have to miss the late night film to get home. At the end of the day I can stomach the congestion charge increase. It's the west end parking fees that really hit the wallet!
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

Yeah, makes sense if there's a bunch of you. I'm on my tod this year though so it's less economical. I'm unfortunately looking at having to skip the last film of the night on Thu/Fri/Sat atm. Sadly, TfL also canned the night tube cos of COVID-related staff shortages and don't look like re-instating it any time soon. Getting an Uber back from Leicester Square would probably be as much as driving in + paying congestion charge every day. Makes the last film of the night pretty expensive! I guess a lot of folks don't live in London so will be staying somewhere near the venue so it's not an issue, but as things stand, I've provisionally written off those film slots. Not too much I'm that bothered about anyway, though Laguna Ave kinda piques my interest.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

Is there a bus you can get? I'll be taking the N15 home from Haymarket eastwards after the late films (which'll be a bit of a trek but better than missing things) and you're welcome to get on with me if that stops anywhere useful and you don't fancy it on your own.

That said I haven't had time to look closely at the schedulea yet so if I'm not bothered I'll likely go early too. I like to be in for the morning films, especially if there's a documentary on .
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

Not easy. I live in Canary Wharf and last time I tried to get home from the centre of town by night buses it took three different buses, a lot of trekking between stops and about three hours total! N15 would only get me as far as Tower Bridge and then there's just the N550, which runs about once an hour and still only gets me to Limehouse. Maybe there's a better route though, I'll look into it.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

WraithApe wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:02 pm Yeah, makes sense if there's a bunch of you. I'm on my tod this year though so it's less economical. I'm unfortunately looking at having to skip the last film of the night on Thu/Fri/Sat atm. Sadly, TfL also canned the night tube cos of COVID-related staff shortages and don't look like re-instating it any time soon. Getting an Uber back from Leicester Square would probably be as much as driving in + paying congestion charge every day. Makes the last film of the night pretty expensive!
In the very early days of Frightfest when I didn't have a car I used the tube to get in and night buses to get home although by the time my head hit the pillow I was lucky if I got more than four or five hours sleep before it was time to head back into Leicester Square again. Couldn't keep that up for long so would ask Alan Jones if the last film was worth staying for or not and he'd invariably reply "it's not worth losing sleep over Eddie, get the last train home instead". So I did. Can't remember when I first started driving in but I did stay for Monster Man (2004?) and that was one of my favourite late nighters ever so if I wasn't driving I got a lift off someone as I think I'd given up on the night buses by then!
Frank Rizzo
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Frank Rizzo »

WraithApe wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:18 am Not easy. I live in Canary Wharf and last time I tried to get home from the centre of town by night buses it took three different buses, a lot of trekking between stops and about three hours total! N15 would only get me as far as Tower Bridge and then there's just the N550, which runs about once an hour and still only gets me to Limehouse. Maybe there's a better route though, I'll look into it.
N15 and N550 both go pretty closer to Canary Wharf, I used to get that bus and it's less than 1hr journey. Think N15 goes to Burdett Road which is walkable to Canary Wharf and N550 goes to West india Avenue which is very close.
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

Yes, I get the 15 to Burdett Road on a Monday as I work over that way and Canary Wharf isn't far, although I'd likely get an Uber the rest of the way if it was late and I'd had a long day (and we definitely need a special bus thread :lol:)

I've just got the digital festival update and I'd quite like to catch up with some of the films I'll miss during the week, but I'm not sure how to check whether my TV will work with it - I have one basic TV with a fire stick plus a Samsung Smart TV (which I'd prefer to watch on as it's newish and bigger). Is there a way I can find out before I start buying tickets?
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

Frank Rizzo wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:44 pm
WraithApe wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:18 am Not easy. I live in Canary Wharf and last time I tried to get home from the centre of town by night buses it took three different buses, a lot of trekking between stops and about three hours total! N15 would only get me as far as Tower Bridge and then there's just the N550, which runs about once an hour and still only gets me to Limehouse. Maybe there's a better route though, I'll look into it.
N15 and N550 both go pretty closer to Canary Wharf, I used to get that bus and it's less than 1hr journey. Think N15 goes to Burdett Road which is walkable to Canary Wharf and N550 goes to West india Avenue which is very close.
Hmm, must have got off the N550 too early before. Didn't realize it went all the way into CW - just checked the route. If you miss the N15/N550 connection though, as I did last time, you're in for a long wait - got to the N550 stop just as it was pulling away! It'd a good 20 minutes walk from Burdett Road to where I live, I'm not sure I can be bothered with that when I get a tube to the door practically, if I just leave earlier.
Frank Rizzo
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Frank Rizzo »

FranksWildYears wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:26 pm Yes, I get the 15 to Burdett Road on a Monday as I work over that way and Canary Wharf isn't far, although I'd likely get an Uber the rest of the way if it was late and I'd had a long day (and we definitely need a special bus thread :lol:)

I've just got the digital festival update and I'd quite like to catch up with some of the films I'll miss during the week, but I'm not sure how to check whether my TV will work with it - I have one basic TV with a fire stick plus a Samsung Smart TV (which I'd prefer to watch on as it's newish and bigger). Is there a way I can find out before I start buying tickets?
The previous online festivals have been run using eventive, see https://frightfest2020.eventive.org/welcome
and https://frightfest.co.uk/2020FilmsDigit ... works.html
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

FranksWildYears wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:26 pm I've just got the digital festival update and I'd quite like to catch up with some of the films I'll miss during the week, but I'm not sure how to check whether my TV will work with it - I have one basic TV with a fire stick plus a Samsung Smart TV (which I'd prefer to watch on as it's newish and bigger). Is there a way I can find out before I start buying tickets?
I had an old Chromecast but it didn't want to work for me for last years digital Frightfest so I bought a Roku Premier instead and just downloaded the Eventive app onto that. Worked brilliantly so that gets my vote.