2021 films

The place to discuss all things about the 2021 FrightFest Events
anaana
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

2021 films

Post by anaana »

No film reviews this year?
I have seen some of the worst films ever this year, but I would appreciate other opinions.

Demonic and The Changed were both excruciating.
MrsE
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: 2021 films

Post by MrsE »

I thought Demonic was OK. It was a bit of a different take on demonic possession. I don't think I'd watch it again though.
The Kindred had some good points
Spoiler:
but I didn't understand why the 'father' didn't report his brother to the police in the first place
The Show I thought was an interesting concept but didnt quite work for me, maybe it needed some editing.
I enjoyed The Exorcism of Carmen Farias.
Agree with you about the Changed, I kept waiting for something to happen but it never did.
anaana
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by anaana »

I missed Carmen Farias.
Enjoyed Off Season, Home in the Dark and Brain Freeze most so far.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Demonic

Some good suspense and dread over the first two acts is undone in the third, with implausibilities and leaps of internal logic that increasingly make little sense. A shame after the effort that had gone in before that. 5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

The Kindred

I really enjoyed this supernatural mystery, a good story with some familiar British cast members and a compelling lead performance. There were some unexpected but welcome twists and turns in the final act. There were some suitably creepy scares too. 8 / 10
MrsE
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by MrsE »

I'm very behind but here's the rest so far.
Dawn Breaks - loved this. Hard to say too much without it being a spoiler but would definitely watch this again.
Last thing Mary saw - this turned out to be much better than I thought it might be from the review in the programme. It could have been the usual puritan era cliche but it developed into something much more.
Off Season - I enjoyed this, the story moved along well enough to gloss over the plot holes it was atmospheric and the place felt sinister even in daylight.
Prisoners of the Ghostland - this wasn't my thing at all, as a spectacle it looked good but it dragged on to the point I just didn't care about the characters or the resolution.
King Knight - I was probably in a minority in that while there were some funny scenes/lines I wasn't really interested in the main character's mid life crisis.
Sound of Violence - interesting idea for the villain's back story. I am never going to take up playing the harp as a hobby.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Crabs!

A fun midnight movie to round off day one, a blend of a "beer" movie, The A-team and a
Spoiler:
kaiju
flick. I was surprised by the ambition and scale, so full credit to the team behind this, although I was left wondering whether it would have been better to spend more time with the
Spoiler:
smaller crabs before widening the scope for a sequel.
6.5 / 10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Pretty Boy

A ho-hum slasher that benefited from a moody atmosphere and a suitably 1980s inspired soundtrack. Some good kills, but others were less effective or even off-camera. 5.5 / 10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Isolation

An anthology that comes together nicely at the end. I particularly enjoyed the segments featuring the children,
Spoiler:
the cannibals,
the London blogger and the Berlin one. 7.5 / 10 overall
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Short Film Showcase One

6.5 / 10 overall with individual shorts ranging from 5 to 8. Standing Woman was a timely riposte to government controls, before becoming more heartfelt in the latter stages. Dana was my pick of the bunch though, the most entertaining piece of the eleven shorts.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Broadcast Signal Intrusion

I adored this movie; I particularly liked the mystery, the sense of impending dread, the creepy broadcasts and the pursuit of secret knowledge. Reminiscent of the old paranoia-driven thrillers, with an isolating feeling of just who can be trusted.
Spoiler:
It ended with sufficient ambiguity to mean that a follow-up could be possible, so fingers crossed for that!
9 / 10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Coming Home In The Dark

A dark and occasionally brutal thriller that's thoroughly gripping throughout. I didn't find it to be quite as brutal as some of the pre-film buzz suggested, but it does have its moments. The storyline is engrossing and twisting, while there are good performances from the cast too. 8.5 / 10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Dawn Breaks Behind The Eyes

I enjoyed this hard-to-categorise movie with different segments deliberately playing with different tones and style. A euro-horror homage with a bit of a twist on the concept that becomes a bit meta too. 8 / 10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

The Last Thing Mary Saw

A slow burner that rewards patience with a good storyline and some great performances by the female leads. Once it does get going it is pretty intense. 8.5 / 10
Spoiler:
My only quibble / query - and maybe I missed something - was the seeming merging of Calvinism and witchcraft, which I would've expected to be at odds.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Are We Monsters

A coming of age tale that consists of both live action and animated fantasy. The story is more heartfelt and profound than a typical gateway horror, but is a tad light on the bloodshed for gorehounds, so I'm pleased that it had the opportunity to play at Frightfest where hopefully it will finds its niche. I liked the mythology that it established, although I did get a bit confused, but that's probably my fault for struggling to keep awake in places due to it being mid-fest! 7 / 10