films we just saw

Chat here about anything horror related. Be it movies, news, remakes or events.
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xLeft For Deadx »

Maniacal wrote:Watched Laid to Rest last night, didn't think much to it.
Damn, I've got a copy of this sitting at home for me to watch tonight. Hope its not too bad.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

xLeft For Deadx wrote:
Damn, I've got a copy of this sitting at home for me to watch tonight. Hope its not too bad.
honestly the killer and gore effect are on top form, besides that chrome mask thing. But the lead actress was really grinding my buttons, shes a terrible actress. I don't expect Oscar worthy acting but christ i couldn't handle much more of her.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
soulmining
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by soulmining »

Crank: High Voltage - the most fun I've had in the cinema all year.

(Okay, it is only mid-April...)
First things first, stay calm.
voor
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by voor »

Pontypool

A lot of people will hate it. Without a doubt. But I am interuppting my self-imposed silence wow from Istanbul Film Festival to say that it is without a doubt one of the most intelligent and exciting films I've seen all year.
Wait for a very detailed review in an upcoming Festival coverage blog.

Sincerely yours

Voor
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Maniacal wrote:
xLeft For Deadx wrote:
honestly the killer and gore effect are on top form, besides that chrome mask thing. But the lead actress was really grinding my buttons, shes a terrible actress. I don't expect Oscar worthy acting but christ i couldn't handle much more of her.
Gave this a watch last night, I actually quite enjoyed most of it - nothing outstanding, but a fairly fun stalk and slash affair. I could have done without some of the Saw/NineInchNails music video style editing flashing crap in my face, but that seemed to subside as the movie went on (or it had numbed my brain to the point where I didn't notice it anymore).

I have to agree about the lead actress though, she was horrific. I noticed she was also the producer, which would explain her presence. I thought there was enough of the other characters that I didn't have to focus on her too much though, most of the time she was just whimpering in the background. Lots of nice gore effects too.
xLeft For Deadx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

soulmining wrote:Crank: High Voltage - the most fun I've had in the cinema all year.
Saw this one at the weekend. Great fun. I thought crank was one of the most enjoyable films of the past couple years, and I'd been looking forward to this, hoping it would make up for the let down of Transporter 3. Its maybe 15 minutes too long, but that's just grumbling. There is a ridiculous number of cameos (pr0n stars/ufc fighters/musicians/comedians). My wife and I were in stitches throughout the whole thing (Mrs. For Dead spurted Relentless out of her nose and started choking at "Is Doc Miles going to have to choke a bitch?").
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

TropicThunder,the 1st time watching this i fell asleep,the second time,its rather funny,very unpc humour and Ben Stiller & comapny having a stab at hollywood and celebrity culture,Robert Downey Jr steals the show,Tom Cruise's cameo is fun,and lets fly with it.

WildZero not really as wacky or fun as what i was hoping but pleased to have seen it.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Sukiyaki Western Django - Well, I've watched a fistful of Takashi Miike films now, but this "noodle western" isn't a patch on the likes of Ichi or Audition. Different genre sure, but it just doesn't work.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Weds afternoon movie time & it was The Boat That Rocked, a few points why call it that when rock the boat,would have sufficed,its not richard curtis,strongest movie,and it does feel like its an excuse to play as much music as possible from his own collection maybe?
With a half n half cast of known actors and others unknown,it did feel a little weak, but its so full of chuckles,you cant help but like it in some ways others, it feels inferior to Love Actually & Notting Hill and incredibly weak compared to that other radio dj film Good Morning Vietnam,kenneth branagh looks like he still belongs in Valkyrie and Bill Nighy steals the film,but it will have you chuckling all the way through and its a good way to spend a couple of hours.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

rental lists throw up all kinds of oddities,so heres The Manitou incredibly dated and with the production values of an episode of Quincy ME, this is a shocker,its seemed in the 70s al you needed was a huge computer in your office next to the whisky,any way its tosh,but i have some other william girdler movies on my list 3 on a meathook and grizzly,no day of the animals though,Final Terror aka campsite massacre arrived on dvd today,the print is apalling straight from a vhs tape.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

Undead or Alive, i thought this bloody brilliant! Zombies and Cowboys, doesn't get much funny. Very three stooges type humour.

The Cottage, very much in the same vain as Severance and just as funny. Love the gore effects. Jennifer Elisons language on my tits a little, i swear as much as the next person but christ.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Outlander
Been waiting for this one for a while, thought it was pretty average though.

The Uninvited
When I heard this remake was coming, I pulled out my Korean Uninvited from 2003 to watch again, only to later find out this was a remake of the A Tale of Two Sisters instead!

Uh-oh - "Two Sisters" was one of my favourite horrors of the last decade, so I'm not expecting much at all... Turned out to be a very solid piece of Hollywood horror, in my opinion... :)
kitkat
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by kitkat »

Grindhouse wrote:rental lists throw up all kinds of oddities,so heres The Manitou incredibly dated and with the production values of an episode of Quincy ME, this is a shocker,its seemed in the 70s al you needed was a huge computer in your office next to the whisky,any way its tosh,but i have some other william girdler movies on my list 3 on a meathook and grizzly,no day of the animals though,Final Terror aka campsite massacre arrived on dvd today,the print is apalling straight from a vhs tape.
I remember Grizzly being on tv when I was a wee nipper. Bought a copy on R1 last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Shame about Day of the Animals as that was another 'so bad it's good' type of film.

Just watched Fulci's 'Beyond'. Not a masive fan of Fulci but this was not too bad. Certainly better than 'New York Ripper'.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

kitkat wrote: I remember Grizzly being on tv when I was a wee nipper. Bought a copy on R1 last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Shame about Day of the Animals as that was another 'so bad it's good' type of film.
The R2 (and UK rental) version of Grizzly is a horrible pan-and-scan job; shame as it's rather a good film.

Meanwhile, my rentals list has provided yet another offering from Jess Franco. Franco veers between enjoyably bonkers and incomprehensible dullness; Night Of The Assassins was obviously shot on a Thursday as it's one of his dull ones. It's billed as an adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe's The Cat And The Canary, which I didn't actually know he'd written (and more to the point, Edgar Allan Poe didn't actually know he'd written it either). Relatives of a murdered British aristo gather at a storm-lashed mansion on the South coast for a will-reading, an inheritance, and several murders based on a big-print version of the Book Of The Apocalypse carried out by a maniac in a rubber mask. And he would have got away with it if it hadn't been for a pesky police inspector who spends the entire time dressed as a Texan oil baron complete with ten-gallon hat.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

Fast & Furious if the 1st one is direct copy of Pointbreak,the 2nd one copied miami vice the series the 3rd one copies drift racer and the fourth copies michael manns miami vice,its packed with cgi,but its still loads of fun and a better return to form for vin diesel.
role on the next one but less cgi more real car chases,if death proof & death race can do it so can F&F5