Our Evil

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
STun
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Our Evil

Post by STun »

Did anyone see this yesterday?

Am torn between this and Double Date tomorrow.
Ever drunk Bailey's from a shoe?
NoneProuder
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Our Evil

Post by NoneProuder »

Our Evil is a dark, slow burner. Well made and acted. Serious. A bit too slow in places but I enjoyed it. Felt like a 70s film, so a nice counterpoint to the meta heavy modern fare.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

I enjoyed this one too - I thought it was going to follow a well-trodden path of an
Spoiler:
Exorcist rip-off
but it ended up being refreshingly different. Some satisfyingly gruesome and gory scenes certainly helped, although I think the ending could have been even more suspenseful and gory to really top it off. 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
MrsE
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by MrsE »

This was one of my favourite films of FF. I also thought this was going in one direction only to be taken by surprise. I look forward to seeing more from Samuel Galli.
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

Impressive debut feature from Brazilian director Samuel Gelli. It's a little bit on the spiritual side for my liking and I did see one of the twists coming, but all in all, it's a well constructed, well realized film especially for the budget - which the director revealed was about $100k in the Q&A afterwards. Definitely worth a watch this one, but even the synopsis is a bit of a spoiler; it would be best to go in completely blind. 7/10
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

The only Discovery screen film I ended up seeing, and to me it was a proper discovery screen film, micro-budget and probably not for all tastes. It looked like it could have been made any time in the last 40 years.

I did struggle to understand what was going on much of the time, but it all came together very nicely at the end.

Sorry I couldn't hang around for the Q&A.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Agree with Soapmaker, even though I'd spent some time convincing myself it obviously wasn't former WWE-wrestler turned actor Batista in the poster for this film still couldn't shake that he'd turn up, even in a small budget Brazilian horro film.

Good atmosphere in this film which was absent from every other film, so this is a stand out for me.

6/10
MalJutley
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by MalJutley »

I enjoyed this. I was told Double Date is good but was also told that Our Evil may not get a release soon so opted for this.
A slow burner but brutal in places and really well made for a debut feature
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

To say too much about this will give the plot away, and one of the main pleasures is to watch the unexpected directions it takes. It starts off very well with some harshly brutal but compelling scenes that are effectively disturbing, but the second half of the movie is told through flashback, and becomes a chore as it moves too slowly and spends too much time on scenes that take a long time to establish what the viewer can quickly grasp. Definitely memorable in parts, but it's not quite at a level where it forms a complete satisfying film.