Death Note

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Death Note

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - Hard to be objective on this one as I've seen the Japanese movies. But it seemed to be a pretty faithful adaptation. The notes at the end might have become too convoluted for their own good... and perhaps it generally tried to cover too much ground. But it's good fun.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Death Note

Post by DavieT »

I was looking forward to this one and enjoyed it. Doesn't top the original Japanese version but for me that would have been extremely hard to do.
Jon H
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jon H »

This has a sort of 'Odd Thomas' feel to it didn't it? - maybe helped by the presence of Willam Defoe -and as an old school fantastical thriller it did a great job.

I've not seen or read the orginal material - I did get the sense of the last 15 mins trying to pack a lot of plot in - but as a stand alone film - enjoyable, fine performance s-and superior film making from Adam Wingard. 7/10
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

It definitely benefited from being on the cinema screen so that we could get he full effect of Wingard's pop and electronica soundtrack and the stylish primary colour lighting that pervades the film. It's a clear refining of his style that was so prominent in The Guest but wasn't able to be present in the found footage style used in Blair Witch. I haven't seen any of the Death Note franchise before, but I like the concept a lot and there seems like there's a lot they could have done with it. This would have been much better as a miniseries because a lot of the film seems rushed and it doesn't explore the possibilities and ramifications enough. I also would have liked clearer and more limited rules for the Death Note book, as it goes from causing Final Destination style deaths to a mind control device, to detailed manipulation of unrelated probabilities by the end. The guy playing Light wasn't too good, but I liked the actress playing his girlfriend, and Willem Defoe is as great as you'd expect as the sinister Death god Ryuk.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

I connected with this one, my favourite of day 1. I liked the main pairing even if the relationship developed pretty quickly, while a number of familiar genre faces in the supporting cast were good too. I enjoyed the story even if it took an unexpected direction early on - well, for me anyway, having not seen the original films, which I may now seek out. Agree with comments that the demon could've been creepier. 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

I haven't read the manga / seen the anime / watched the original Japanese films - I was approaching this more as Adam Wingard's latest project and as such, it wasn't bad. It's very comic book-ish in style, which befits a film derived from manga. Not up there with Wingard's finest (The Guest IMO) but plenty of visual flare, a nice retro 80s soundtrack and a decent story, probably make it worth a watch for anyone not already steeped in the mythology of the source material. 6/10
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

After a nice atmospheric opening 10 minutes this accelerated waaay too quickly, jamming in plot and character development at breakneck speed which left me totally ambivalent towards the fate of any of the characters. A wasted opportunity.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I think this is just about the only film I watched which I haven't commented on yet - perhaps because it's already fading in my memory after watching 23 other films since.

But it was good, very well done and I certainly understood the plot better than the Japanese version even though a hell of a lot was crammed in. I liked the relationship between Light and his girlfriend, they way they still cared about each other despite pulling in different directions and even threatening each others' lives.

I'd watch it again.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I too hadn't seen the Japanese stuff so went in expecting blue lit seens and 80s synth music and that paid off.

Far too long and then too rushed but OK despite the lead reminding me too much of Jay from Inbetweeners crossed with Gavin Rossdale.

5/10
PolisKanin
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by PolisKanin »

I didn't get to see it at Frightfest but I watched it on Netflix. Didn't like it.
I've read the manga and one-shots, seen the anime and all four Japanese films. This is the lowest the franchise has come.
The film got so much wrong about Death Note. And no, I don't mean that there were differences between it and the source material. I understand that when adapting to a different form of media, changes will have to be made. But Death Note (2017) doesn't understand what Death Note is. Death Note is about geniuses trying to beat each other strategically. Death Note (2017) doesn't replicate this on any level. If this was a new take on the Death Note concept, going fully "Final Destination" with an original story, this would have been acceptable, but no; instead it's a sloppy retelling of the story half-similar, half changed. If Adam Wingard wanted to change the story so much, why not focus it on new characters dealing with a Death Note instead of keeping Light, L, Watari and Ryuk?
Other flaws include:
  • A crew member can be heard coughing in one scene.
  • Ryuk says that the closest anybody has ever gotten to writing his name in the Death Note is writing two letters, despite an earlier scene showing his name in the book.
  • A chase scene. This does not fit Death Note.
  • After killing Kenny Doyle and Anthony Skomal, Light asks Mia to read the last entry written in the Death Note. She reads out Kenny Doyle, despite Anthony Skomal being the last name written.
  • Spoiler:
    Watari is killed using the Death Note, despite Watari not being his real or full name.
As for positives, Willem Dafoe (Ryuk) and Lakeith Stanfield (L) fit their roles decently, although L fell apart in the second half of the film. As mentioned previously, L is meant to be a genius. After about half way, L stops acting like a genius.
Spoiler:
Why would a genius reveal his face to Kira?
Some shots were visually interesting.
4/10