The Wicker Tree

Pick at the bones of 2011's films
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

The Wicker Tree

Post by jonbly »

4/10 - This one didn't work for jonbly - the characters weren't fleshed out and there was nothing driving the plot along (as the murder investigation did for The Wicker Man). What was the point of the "raven-cam" sequences? Seems like nothing more than a weak cash-in on the original's fame.
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: The Wicker Tree

Post by Dom »

I don't like bashing films but I cannot let this one pass. It was just cack from beginning to end. I left early so that I could book into my room and not risk missing the infinitely superior My Sucky Teen Romance but my guesstimation of how it would all end wasn't far off.
Bad script, ham acting which I blame the director for, not the performers and worst of all it made The Wicker Man remake look inspired. Bring back the bees!
xBIGJOEx
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by xBIGJOEx »

awful - what a mess, just felt like it was pissing on the legacy of a classic.
2/10
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.
djwoody
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by djwoody »

Absolute trash and 2 hours of my life wasted !
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

It felt like Jilly Cooper's Riders with a bit of paganism thrown in.

TV production values, an ill thought through plot, cod performances and bumbling characters who weren't especially funny, generally underwhelming. I guess it proves you can't trap lightning in a bottle twice.

The Queen of the May seemed totally irrelevant to proceedings, yet she, and not Steve, was the focus of the film. Why would pagans be running a nuclear power station, the pathetic and inexplicable attempt to kill her with milk the day before proceedings, the whole thing just didn't hang together.
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Absolute garbage.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Oswald Cobblepot wrote:It felt like Jilly Cooper's Riders with a bit of paganism thrown in.
Indeed. or Midsummer Murders with a couple of dumb annoying Americans thrown in.

Robin Hardy said the remake of The Wicker Man had inspired him to make it during the Q&A....well, this was almost as naff as The Wicker Man remake.

The plot was messy and without any real focus, and the parts alluding to The Wicker Man seemed really unneccesary, like they had been forced in there just so parallels could be drawn. Worst bit was the copying of the "i know a secret way" bit from The Wicker Man, she'd just killed the villagers leader and even made them sing a song and they seemed completely accepting that their leader would be the sacrifice, however they then kill her anyway, making the leaders death completely pointless...it seemed like the death of the girl had just been added for arty purposes to show her as a mannequin later on,

A bit poo overall.
Last edited by Wolfshade on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

I do feel this suffered from the Wicker Man links being shoehorned into the story and the hype.
Next time I go to Fife (Bonfire Night instead of Halloween this year!) I'll have fun with the C&W singer sent to save the "Lost Folks of Scotland" line :-)

Did anyone else hope that the dummy winked like Joan Sims at the end of Carry On Screaming ?
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

It was not good at all.... but not the total embarrassment I feared (and expected, to be honest).

Tripe, but at least it wasn't boring, I found it reasonably entertaining. And it retained some of the weirdness of The Wicker Man - but probably more by accident than design.

(I'm beginning to sound like people trying to defend Argento's last six or seven films, aren't I? :oops: )
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Wicker Carry On.

This film felt like Robin Askwith should have had the lead role in it.

Like the Star Wars prequels - when the highlight is Christopher Lee against green screen you know it is a bad, bad film.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

fucking silly. what a load of rubbish. so flat. didnt go anywhere in terms of atmoshere, suspense, build up. seemed like an excuse for robin hardy to hang around with young hot women. by far one of the worst film. rubbish
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

I would of probably enjoyed having flys lay eggs in my eye sockets more than this movie. Just sayin'

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

Why all the hate? Thought it was entertaining in a very, very, very cheesy kind of way. That Christopher Lee thing was unnecessary but besides that it was good fun.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Oh dear what a waste of time - easily my worst film this year!
Eddie Krueger
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Eddie Krueger »

Huge disappointment. Massive plot holes and inconsistencies throughout. Just poor all round. I didn’t expect The Wicker Man, but I did at least expect something worthwhile.